Need some information please!

RoLandRover

Hi all,

As I'm rebuilding my RR some questions rise up in my head,

and I'd like to sort them out, as much as I can ofcourse,...

Like a lot of other cars my car is a collection of parts of a number of years,..

'

My car is a 73 range V8 with a slightly younger body (black frames around the windows)

it did have a fourspeed LT95 and a 3.5 Low-compr. with carbs,.

wich wil both be replaces by a 3.5 high compr. with an Impco Model E and 225 and a 5 speed lt77

1"body lift 2" spring lift. disloc. cones TD5 double yoke front shaft. 285/75-16 coopers etc. etc.

i'd like to put in a 5 speed RR box (allready sourced) LT77 with a LT230 of a disco .

BUT!

what type of tunnel do I have? It is a bolted one,.. ( as it should be ) and it has a Cast Aluminium topcover.

two flip flop ashtrashs in the rear middle

is it a 4 or 5 speed tunnel? someone told me it is an early speed type , but is it? the fourspeed came out. what model year? how will the the handbrake be placed? connected to the tunnel of gearbox like it was with the Lt95?

who can help me out identifying this tunnel!

a link to my photo site :

http://ranover.fotopic.net

and i'll try a picture here :

y416gy.jpg

yghnvv.jpg

hope to hear !

gr,

Roland

Those pics show the same tunnel as was (now cut and modified) in my 4 door 84 rangie when it had an LT77/LT230, except driver is on wrong side :D

Thanks,..so it really is an early 5 speed tunnel,..

no problem fitting the Lt77+230 then!

but can you recall how the handbrake lever was mounted? by the looks of it it should have been

on the side of the box it self isn't it?,..

Roland

I'm getting a sinking feeling from this...is the tunnel different between a range rover with an LT230 and one with a BW? Was planning on sticking an LT230 in my '93 to replace the siezed BW (on account of I don't have £500 quid kicking around to blow on a recon BW :( ).

I'm getting a sinking feeling from this...is the tunnel different between a range rover with an LT230 and one with a BW? Was planning on sticking an LT230 in my '93 to replace the siezed BW (on account of I don't have £500 quid kicking around to blow on a recon BW :( ).

Do not worry Geoff,

those are exactly the same with the levers..

Yesterday I took a BW of my Lt77 and put on a 230.

only differance is a selectable difflock/highlow lever instead of only high/low.

precise at the same place on top of the 77.

if either of both need more space undef the tunnel?? I doubt it....

gr,

Roland

Thanks,..so it really is an early 5 speed tunnel,..

no problem fitting the Lt77+230 then!

but can you recall how the handbrake lever was mounted? by the looks of it it should have been

on the side of the box it self isn't it?,..

Roland

No problem with an LT77 + LT230 or R380 + LT230.

My handbrake bracket bolted to the right hand side of the LT230. When I replaced the LT230 with a later one from a 110 TD5, I had to drill and tap holes for the bolts - the bosses were cast on the side of the LT230, but were not drilled.

I have a 2-1/2" body lift and had to weld an extension on the bracket to lift the handbrake lever up and extend the lever for the LT230. With your 1" body lift, there may be no need.

I have since changed to a cable operated handbrake lever from a rangie with BW t/case (when I fitted an X-eng disc brake).

I don't know how the handbrake is mounted on LH drive models.

Mine is cable operated,..

so I need to fine a lever that fits the (left) side of the box then..

lets hope I can find one....

thanks all!

gr,

ROland

btw,..what year is the tunnel of,..I still have not a clue about this....

No problem with an LT77 + LT230 or R380 + LT230.

My handbrake bracket bolted to the right hand side of the LT230. When I replaced the LT230 with a later one from a 110 TD5, I had to drill and tap holes for the bolts - the bosses were cast on the side of the LT230, but were not drilled.

I have a 2-1/2" body lift and had to weld an extension on the bracket to lift the handbrake lever up and extend the lever for the LT230. With your 1" body lift, there may be no need.

I have since changed to a cable operated handbrake lever from a rangie with BW t/case (when I fitted an X-eng disc brake).

I don't know how the handbrake is mounted on LH drive models.

Oops,.. around 84 it was!

shame on me! ;)

\

thanks all!

gr,

ROland

thanks all!

gr,

ROland

You are opening another can of worms if you go to the older handbrake lever.

The one that was on mine, had mechanical linkage to operate the shoes in the brake drum. You would need the complete brake assembly - pehaps not the drum, but backing plate, linkage etc.

I would think it would be simpler/cheaper to stay with cable operated and find a place to mount the lever.