Crankshaft bolt removal

Niamh

We're just trying to do a timing belt change and the crankshaft bolt is proving extremely reluctant to come off, for example the starter motor trick fails.

We've tried a 2' breaker bar with a bit of steel pipe slipped over it to give about 3' of leverage but it won't budge.

So the question is how much more leverage can we try before there is any danger of shearing the bolt?

Niamh

No danger at all that is a massive bolt with a fine thread.

I am surprised the clutch is not slipping with a bar as big as that.

try the starter motor with the bar a short way from the chassis leg(protect this with a block of wood) this may help to shock the bolt free.

No danger at all that is a massive bolt with a fine thread.

The thought did cross my mind as I was lying in the bath just now that I was more likely to kill the 1/2" breaker bar before shearing the bolt.

I am surprised the clutch is not slipping with a bar as big as that.

I suspect it was a touch as easing off the pressure on the bar got it returning to about 15 degree off the initial starting position.

try the starter motor with the bar a short way from the chassis leg(protect this with a block of wood) this may help to shock the bolt free.

Which chassis leg would you use, top of passenger side, or bottom of driver side?

Niamh.

I too struggled to undo this bolt as the starter motor trick failed me too.

I also tried a long bar ( which also failed ) and was tempted to try a scaffolding pole however my local mechanic had access to a pneumatic gun which was the biggest one in his armoury. Even that took 3 or 4 goes before the bolt would move.

It really is a pig to shift. Good luck.

however my local mechanic had access to a pneumatic gun which was the biggest one in his armoury. Even that took 3 or 4 goes before the bolt would move.

Well we could strip off the front, rad, oil cooler and intercooler and try the 3/4" impact wrench...

Niamh

We're just trying to do a timing belt change and the crankshaft bolt is proving extremely reluctant to come off, for example the starter motor trick fails.

We've tried a 2' breaker bar with a bit of steel pipe slipped over it to give about 3' of leverage but it won't budge.

So the question is how much more leverage can we try before there is any danger of shearing the bolt?

Niamh

Oxy/acet get it nice and hot to melt the probable locking compound that some ar==hole has used then it will come off with the starter

Keith

Im all for that in the right places, but as long as its done up at the right torque it should not be an issue (for the next person to remove)

Some people use the stuff like glue though, and make things a nightmare for the next owner.

I done a cam belt on a mates car not long ago, and someone must have used a whole pot of the stuff before putting the bolt back in. :angry:

like Keith said the gas has to come into play then ;)

I had this issue with 2 engines that were not in vehicles- starter trick was out then!

One came undone with a decent 12v impact gun and the other did eventually when I heated the bolt head and washer with a blowtorch- didn't need to be massively hot just enough to melt the thread lock. As has been said the threadlock is supposed to be there- ever seen the end of a crank and woodruff key when the bolt works loose...

As you found the 1/2" drive isnt strong enough, need 1", swinging it on the starter against the chassis should work if the battery is good, had to put jump leads on the last one I did just to get a good swing.

If you use heat dont get it too hot.

Read Les' Cambelt replacement tech write up. He suggests using a metal plate with two holes drilled in it, two long m8 bolts and a socket. I used this method and it worked perfectly, with the engine disconnected! see here

EDIT:

OOps, sorry I thought you were trying to get the pulley off, not the bolt itself. Using a breaker bar, put pressure on it till it bends, then get someone else to tap the bar closer to the socket, worked for me...