top tip don't use a highlift in place of a trolley jack

white90

luckily no there isn't

I just stood back and watched it fall off the jack again.

Bluddy high lifts are lethal!

Were you putting in some Orange ones??? :lol:

It's operator error really, you should have invested 30 quid+ in one of the stupid plastic jack mounts for uneven surfaces! ;);)

Not to hijack the post but has anyone used a 'Jack Mate' with a hi lift for lifting up wheels in ruts to put in waffles underneath? - it seems perfect for this

Steve

Tony

You should know better than useing a highlift for that kind of job without a back up for when the hilift falls over.

Everyone knows that there leathel and there only for jobs that you don't get under the car.

Ok we have all used them for changing springs.

with the pro-comp set up with that the 5ft hilift couldn't get the wheels on the rear off the ground without falling over or becoming very dodgy

tsk tsk tsk school boy error I am afraid, you of all people, now go and stand in the corner and hold your head down with shame. :P Fortunately no damages to people so that is someting to be grateful for. (I have trolley jack, HD axle stands abd blocks of wood if you want to borrow).

You may have noticed that the base on a highlift pivots and is quite small, hmmmm, I wonder why that is? Maybe to make is deliberately unstable; the intended usage is to lift the vehicle up and then push to one side so the vehicle falls of the jack and out of the rut?

As someone else said, ^^^^, used it like that many times and no accident, well fine, you have been lucky; one day your luck will run out. :o

Not to hijack the post but has anyone used a 'Jack Mate' with a hi lift for lifting up wheels in ruts to put in waffles underneath? - it seems perfect for this

Steve

Yes - they are quite good, BUT you need a base and a second set of arms/second person

Tony,

if you had used a base and a defender adaptor then you would have been much safer. One of the guys I regularly commune with in Oz lost a good friend when a vehicle on an unsafe Hi-lift fell on him and crushed him to death.

Why not buy an 8x4 sheet of shuttering ply and use it as a level/smooth base for a trolley jack?

well Thanks all

I do have a jack base should have used in in hindsight.

and a trolley jack funnily enough but I needed to get the car high enough to pull the springs out.

David I like the idea of a sheet of ply.

I thought a salient picture to warn others would be a good idea.

I woon't be repeating this error.

off to the corner to hang head in shame

I do have a jack trolley jack funnily enough but I needed to get the car high enough to pull the springs out.

agreed; that is one of the problems of using a trolley jack on a landie - they just don't go high enough. I have place 4x2 blocks of wood under the jack to get the end high when replacing a rear spring + pluis axle stands, again on blocks of wood. With the jack, you need to plan the placement as the jack will move as the arm is raised, if you're not careful, it will roll of the blocks (luckily IO spotted that!)

DSC00503.jpg

My top tip!

When you lift front ot rear with the highlift, it generaly tries to move to the side. If you stick a log between one of the wheels and a tree and your winch cable on to the same tree - you can effectively lock it from moving side to side.

Works rather well, I've found. Good if you need to do it 'in the field'

Si

When I change springs I use both the hi-lift and a trolley jack and put it in low diff locked and chock the wheels.

Support the axle with the trolley jack, take off the wheel, jack up the chassis with hi-lift, lower the axle with the trolly jack until there's a big enough space to put the spring in.

Mo