Tow hitches - NATO and 50mm ball in one?

FridgeFreezer

I have a dilemma - I have a NATO hitch, a pin hitch and a ball hitch but only space on the drop plate for one of them - I can squeeze a second hitch in but then it makes the other one unusable :(

I tried what I think is a spare NATO coupling laying round the yard and it wouldn't quite go into a normal pin hitch :( but my mate reckons it's a larger ring (ooo-err) than a sankey - are there two sizes of ring?

I usually use the ball hitch, but have been given a Sankey with NATO hitch which I would like to be able to tow too - so is there a hitch that will tow "normal" and NATO hitches?

I don't really want to extend the drop plate as it's enough of a plough already, and I don't want to fork out for a Dixon bate adjustable.

I may be imagining it but I think I have seen a NATO style hitch with a 50mm ball cast onto the top part of the hook - such that the ball can be used while the hitch is in it's open position. Could have been a dream though.

Chris

I may be imagining it but I think I have seen a NATO style hitch with a 50mm ball cast onto the top part of the hook - such that the ball can be used while the hitch is in it's open position. Could have been a dream though.

Chris

No your right

I have see one of those to don't ask me where

Sue (Series mod on LRA) - her parents bought one for their TD5 130. She'll know where they got it from etc.

They are an impressive bit of towing equipment, and I believe are as strong as a standard NATO hook (54-tons?)

Les. :)

Nah it is a mere 22 tons!

You can buy them here, ball bolts on to the jaw part, no idea who makes them though. Bout 74 quid here I think

Hmm, will have to keep my eyes open at gaydon this weekend then.

Strangely, these were on sale ay Gaydon last year! Can't remember who :( wasn't one of the big boys.

Seem to remember they were made in Brazil. When I had a fiddle with it :blink: I found the pin or something wouldn't locate or something, when I pointed this out the guy tried and he couldn't either a little embarrassing for him as he'd just spent 5 minutes telling what a perfect bit of kit they were!

I think about £90 may have been over £100.

I'll be at Gaydon Its only 10 minutes away :) .

'Tis all true..... although it's a 2" ball not 50mm which I once found out to my disgust...... :angry:

Do you know how to tell a 50mm ball from a 2" one?

The 50mm balls all have a flat on the top, the 2" ones do not. Easy.

The one in the Sparex picture looks easily changed.

Chris

IIRC from my old sparex catalogue, they use orange as their company colour...... :(

www.northerntool.com, look at towing for all sorts of wierd and wonderful looking hitches

unfortunatley that's the usa site, the uk site has no such stuff, nor does the canadian site.

also they're all 2" and not 54mm or whatever the metric equivalent is.