discovery 200 gearbox and transfer box change.

muddy4x4xfar

hi. its a discovery 200 tdi lt77 and lt230. i need to remove them both as both either need rebuilding or changing. if i have them rebuilt ill go to ashcroft they been brilliant with everything else.

does anyone hav a guide to taking the gearboxes off on your own. i dont have a ramp . wondered if anyone had tackled doing this.

any help is much apprieciated and thanks in advance.

chris

hi. its a discovery 200 tdi lt77 and lt230. i need to remove them both as both either need rebuilding or changing. if i have them rebuilt ill go to ashcroft they been brilliant with everything else.

does anyone hav a guide to taking the gearboxes off on your own. i dont have a ramp . wondered if anyone had tackled doing this.

chris

hi chris i done it by myself a while ago if you look in the tech section there is a very good step by step by les henson .

cheers all the best joe.

chris

Hi chris

I have done quite a few of these now but always over the pit. its not only a struggle to get it out even with Two of us

but relocation is more of a struggle. Sure with the right equipment.......it may be a one man job , but sounds like you don’t have all the proper facilities/tools/knowledge. My advice would be not to tackle it on your own. have a good read up and get some knowledgeable chap/friend to help you. Remember these items are very heavy and can do a lot of damage to the human body.... Safety first is a must

I have done this lots of times on my drive with no ramp.

you will need an engine crane tho... it could be done using trolley jacks but would be real hard work.

i have four car ramps of the same size (but have used axle stands) drive it up on and strap the wheels down to the ramps so there is no way the car can roll off.

then its a case of center console out, disconnect the prop shafts, hand brake, speedo and wires for diff lock light etc.. Then remove the center of the exhaust. Support the gearboxes using the engine crane through the front doors and down through where the console was. remove the center Xmember then drop the gear box on the crane abit so you can get to all the bell housing bolts, wiggle it free of the engine and drop to the ground.

it not that complicated (just follow the haynes's manual ;) ) just work methodically and carefully as the gear boxes together are quite heavy as some ones already said.

I think two people who know what there doing could do the whole swap in 6 hours, get a mate to help you and you should be able to do it in a weekend

mating the engine back up to the gear box is far easier with two people :)

and while you have the Gear boxes off change the engine rear main oil seal (behind the flywheel) and put a new clutch on.

hope this helps