Gearbox situation

Hi

Friend of mine bought a 110, it was MOTd last week and all was well. Big smiles all round.

Now she can't get reverse, she tells me. Moving from 1st to 2nd, it appears like there's no gate to slide into to engage reverse. She hasn't confirmed whether it's an LT77 or 85 yet, I would guess possibly LT85 however. It's mated to a land cruiser 4L, for what that's worth.

Does this symptom with the gearbox sound familiar ? Is it a box-out job, or perhaps something on the top plate if we're lucky ?

Will be looking at it tomorrow, just hoped to get an idea or two first.

Cheers

A

Had exactly the same problem on 110 last week. Mine's the LT77 box and it has a device to stop you accidentally selecting reverse. Mine has seized up through lack of use.

Remove the gear box tunnel and there's a component to the right hand side of the gear box just below where the gear level is (see attachment). Remove 2 bolts and remove the assembly. I took it apart and greased up the piston/ball bearing/springs and it now goes into reverse easily.

Good luck!

reverse.pdf

I had this on my LT77 fitted 90 after parking it one night and for some stupid reason leaving it in reverse. I pulled forward ok the next morning but could not get reverse at all.

Like you described it was as if there was no gate to go across and through into reverse.

My problem was found to be the plunger as markpc described.