Replacing my sills

rmtucker

Looking better than mine at the mo but we are slowly getting there. Got one question, the strengthening braces which rest on the buffers on the chassis, should they be attached to the sides or the floor or both cos they do not seem to be close enough to the side supports when against the floor panel.

Cheers

Andy

On mine the cross braces were welded to the bottom of the side rails ('z' sections).

Wished i had took a photo now. rolleyes.gif

Thanks, I thought they were on mine, wasn't sure wether they had just attached themselves over the years! Got most of the welding done on the side panels now, front support to do yet then in it goes!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

You'll be pleased to know that the rust in your disco is genuinely NOTHING compared to my '96 300tdi!

lifted the boot carpet and sodden deadening to find.....NOTHING!! LITERALLY!!

No boot floor, only skeletonised rotten cross members, no side plates and both rear arches rotted and suspended in mid air. oh joy!

lucky im a MIG-pervert and get off on welding projects!

all rebuilt now, 3mm plate, 4mmx40mmx20mm channel for cross beams, with 50mmx4mm straps for good measure.

50mmx4mm steel all around the edge of frame and 4mm alloy checkerplate black siliconed and bolted and 5mm poprivetted everywhere.

solid as a tank, wont rust out again, especially after the waxoyl frenzy i had before the floor went down!

welding up some 2'' spring lifters tomorrow. copying ones my mate bought for 70quid. i bought the 10mm steel plate and 10mmx30mm bar for £6.00

at my steel stockists offcut rack. will probably use the arc stick-welder for that job, but the 185amp mig with 1mm wire could do it.

i just LOVE renovating my disco-sting!! top fun and better than spending my hard earned on the tiddle or supporting a bunch of fairy footballers!!!

oh yeah!!

Jesus would have driven a 300tdi!

Your making a superb job of this one, better check every corner everywhere while your in there as said previously,

Just for interest the easiest way the fit the sills under the B post is to chop the lower 4" off and re-weld it back on later, if fitting inner and outer as an assembly is the only way I've found so far.

Well been busy everyday workin on it.

So far i have done the boot floor and rear crossmember.

Nearside outer sill and both rear arches.(Seatbelt mounting points)

Nearside front arch completly rebuilt in places.

I have the offside front arch to patch and check the offside sill.

So far i have spent 4 weeks on it solid except for 2 rainy days. :blink:

I wish I was making as good progress as you. I've got new inner & outer cills in place ready to weld and am making up footwell patches but have just discovered the chassis crossmember, second from the back (has rear set belt anchors and supports front of fuel tank) is rotten. Not available as a spare it seems. Has anyone tried replacing this bit with a rear crossmember, which is available?

• 1 month later...

dont worry about trying to fit rear crossmember in this position.

buy a length of 50 x 20 x 4mm channel rodding from a local steel supplier.

I have replaced my discos cross members with this channel rodding and it really is much more solid than the original when welded into place to replace the old cross member. I drilled and bolted the ends as well for good measure. :rolleyes: