Tranmission jacks

MogLite

I've got to swap a fresh auto box into my Ibex sometime soon, which means pulling it out of the donor car first. So quite a bit of fannying around with big lumps of metal.

Changing transfer/ gearboxes has always been a bit hit'n'miss using a trolley jack. because of the wierd shapes involved.

I was thinking of removing the saddle on my trolley jack, and making a kinda frame to hold a trans.

Something like this - available for ~£45

DRA56758.jpg

But whilst having a google around I found this

53095.jpg

Available on eBay for about £75 - 150kg and lifts to 570mm

Bearing in mind I'll be using it for Landies and similar, and I'll be working on concrete floors rather than a 4-post lift, and I'd like to make it safe/easy enough to be able to do it solo.

Which one would you choose ?

Or any other ideas ?

i've used the scissor type before, very good imo, good lift height etc, only thing u'll find when it comes to lr boxes is that it has the transfer box to one side which tends to make it want to topple over, u'll need a jack to take the weight under the t/box if dropped in one unit, or whip the t/box off before lowering g/box.

i've used the scissor type before, very good imo, good lift height etc, only thing u'll find when it comes to lr boxes is that it has the transfer box to one side which tends to make it want to topple over, u'll need a jack to take the weight under the t/box if dropped in one unit, or whip the t/box off before lowering g/box.

Cool - I meant to say, I'd split the transfer from the main gearbox to keep the weight sensible. The Ibex has an LT230, and the donor Rangie a Borg-warner, so I can't do it all in one lump anyway.

Hmm windy gun :)

i've used one to take a disco box out, reached ok, wasn't on 35's though, although u could always let your tyres down or stick it on bare rims........

Or upgrade the castors...."Bling my Transmission Jack" New Series on MTV soon, staring a geography teacher dressed as a clown, talking like a tw@t - aka Westwood.

Wonder if any of the local hire places would have a scissor lift? Got to do the transfer box in my rangie soon, and I'm quite sure my 2ton Halfords twist-o-matic trolley jack isn't going to be a great deal of use, but I probably can't justify buying one.

Transfer box can be lifted on and off by hand from underneath. Some long studs can help - get 4 120mm (I think it's 120mm) M10 bolts and chop the heads off, I then cut a slot in the cut end to use a flat blade screw driver in them. Put these in the rear 4 holes that you remove the bolts from that hold the transfer box to the main box. Slide the transfer box off along these bolts. Then when fitting these bolts help guide the transfer box back into place, just a little jiggle of an output flange (don't forget diff lock) to line the splines up and it'll pop right on :rolleyes:

Transfer box can be lifted on and off by hand from underneath. Some long studs can help - get 4 120mm (I think it's 120mm) M10 bolts and chop the heads off, I then cut a slot in the cut end to use a flat blade screw driver in them. Put these in the rear 4 holes that you remove the bolts from that hold the transfer box to the main box. Slide the transfer box off along these bolts. Then when fitting these bolts help guide the transfer box back into place, just a little jiggle of an output flange (don't forget diff lock) to line the splines up and it'll pop right on :rolleyes:

You reckon that's doable even with a 60kg, tight in the space, Borg Warner transfer box?

• 2 weeks later...

When I changed my transfer box - I just fabricated a quick 'V' thing which bolted to the transfer box and replaced the cup on the top of a 3 ton jack. It had a bit of angular adjustment - I tightened the bolts on the adjustments while it was sitll in place, but sat on top of the jack. When I put in the new box - everything lined up perfectly.

Only took half an hour to make out of bits of scrap.

Si

My 2p

I use a engine hoist to lift it from above and raise and lower with a chain or strop through the middle seat hole.

and lower onto a trolly jack or sack truck thinr that I have has casters half way up so it can roll along on its back