Sankey Trailers

jcwcooper

Im thinking about buying a sankey but i dont really know anything about them other than that there is a Narrow track which I belive was made for the series originally and there is also a wide track for Defenders, So im assuming I would need to be looking at the latter as I have a 90.

So my question is what do i need to look for when buying one?

Thanks

Dave.

You don't "have" to have a wide track - I have a narrow track one and it is fine to tow behind a Defender just that for off road use the track was originally intended to match that of the tow vehicle I think. Just means it is a bit bouncy if following a set of Defender sized ruts.

The main advantage of the wide track ones is that it has a tailboard fitted whereas the old narrow track has a solid box, but I made a tailboard for mine out of a couple of bits of angle iron (to stiffen the box where I cut it) a set of galv gate hinges and some 1x6" timber. Post on the old forum here: http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=282169.0

Cast ex mil trailers usually suffer from knackered brakes (like mine), knackered electrics (like mine) and terminal body rot (like mine). The electrics are easy to sort out - buy a cheap lighting board and screw it to the back of the trailer, body rot is just eventually terminal (so don't buy a bad one). Brakes are, erm, yeah well I fixed mine with a grinder :ph34r: not suggesting you should do that :ph34r:

Compared to something like a decent Ifor Williams they are quite wobbly to tow on the road (very prone to snaking at any sort of speed, not bad, but enough to want to keep an eye on it!).

The load capacity is limited - I think they are supposed to carry 750kg tops but I can confirm they don't actually break with twice that in :ph34r: though admittedly I was a bit shocked when I got to the weighbridge, drove home rather slowly and put a lot less in next time :unsure:

Even a single axle IW will carry a bit more than that, the twin axle ones (I have a GD85) will carry a bit over two tons so a lot more versatile but the Sankey is much better over rough ground if that is what you need, the combination of the flexibility in the NATO hitch and good ground clearance means it will follow just about anywhere.

Purchased a widetrack (disc braked) Sankey from Whithams over a year ago. Very useful and stable behind my 90 and Discovery and RRC. Would go for the disc braked options, less maintenance and makes for good braking when loaded.

Wired a standard trailer socket into the original wiring and works a treat. To make life easier, make sure the lamps are single pole not double pole. Just makes life easier on having the same lamps as used by your truck.

Check that the rear legs go down and that the Jockey wheel is in good nick.

Paid £350 for mine, worth every penny.

http://www.mod-sales.com/

I brought a widetrack mk 111 from withiams in an auction got it for £150 + Vat from one of their standard auction, (not the tender) watched them for a while and when no one bid that was the one for me!!

Looked at lots of them first, on e-bay etc but you pay the same from withams and get a better choice. I would go for a Mk 111 if I were you, they are Hydraulic disk braked and easy to service mine came into service in 1996 and was de-mobed in 2009 (did the same time in the mob as me!! although diffrent years rolleyes.gif )

The body was usable but would need a rub back and some rust prevention in a couple of years if I was keeping it. I am just about to strip it off and convert it into an overland trailer, although I must say it has been very usefull for tip runs etc and considering getting another for that purpose.

I towed it back from Withams (120 miles) and don't know if its because I had the correct height hitch or it is just a straight trailer but it never moved, infact I did creap over 60 a couple of times becuause I forgot it was there !! even empty it didn't sway snake or bounce around I was really impressed.

I have had it loaded with rubish for the tip and it handles very well, reverse lock is good and it behaves when going backwards, I was worried about this as the short draw bar on a 110 makes for tricky reversing sometimes. it towed very well in the recent snow I went to pick up some heating oil for a friend and had no problems, even with a full load, again probaly really easy to overload!!

I plan to extend/modify the towing end of mine by about adding 2ft of box this will give me better back door clearance and allow me to add my overland box without risking hitting the landy on entry/exit, this was the main first reason I went for the Hydraulic version as it will be easy to extend but really glad I did for ease of service etc, also an added advantage was the MK111 has the provision to fit a break away cable to the bottom of the handbreak without having to fabricate a bracket or bodge anything, this has ensured that I can stay legal.

The previous comments are right it is very much like buying a landy:

* What do you want it for?

* How much cash have you got?

There is a lot of tat out there dropped from the back of a chinook with out a parachute to many times towed with the breaks on but there is also some great un-issued ones also I noticed Withams have a couple on their latest tender look carefully though as some are MK11 and some MK111. put a couple of cheaky bids in and see what you get, you would be supprised. or if you are in no rush just wait for the right one to come up.

Sorry this is a bit long but spent a lot of time looking and nearly got stung twice!! If you need anymore advise feel free to drop me a PM and I will send you my number.

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-126513191831_thumb.jpg

Would I be right in saying that the max they should be towing is 750kg?

I was also a little confused by this at first and didn't think it would give me a lot of trailer!! The above is correct the load weight is 750kg hence the 3/4 ton this is not the loaded weight as it does not take the tare weight into consideration. hence having to sort out the breaks and fit the break away cable to comply with UK/European law.

Reason i asked was due to the laws about towing if you passed your test after 97.......Which i did.

So I would be able to tow it empty but not fully laden?

I want to do my trailer test but it would be nice to have something to learn with.

Dave.

Reason i asked was due to the laws about towing if you passed your test after 97.......Which i did.

So I would be able to tow it empty but not fully laden?

I want to do my trailer test but it would be nice to have something to learn with.

Dave.

I'm sure someone will be here shortly to correct me rolleyes.gif however my understanding is that the law applies to the plated weight of the trailer not the loaded weight so if you can only tow up to a 750kg trailer on your licence you will not be able to tow a sankey as the plated weight is 1259kg. I passed my licence in 90 so fortunatly don't have that problem!! so am by no means an expert, but that was my understanding.

Jason.