Synthetic Hawse Fairlead

martifers

From what I've heard about them - in theory there great as they are the same material as the rope and glide nice and easily, however in practice by the time the rope has been dunked in the mud a couple of times the grit acts as a sort of cutting paste and as the material isnt as hard as ally or stainless it wears down the fairlead rather quickly

Saying that I've not used them, and its just what I've seen written about them - so I may be wrong.

From what I've heard about them - in theory there great as they are the same material as the rope and glide nice and easily, however in practice by the time the rope has been dunked in the mud a couple of times the grit acts as a sort of cutting paste and as the material isnt as hard as ally or stainless it wears down the fairlead rather quickly

Saying that I've not used them, and its just what I've seen written about them - so I may be wrong.

Where did you read this out of interest? I was under the impression that it was ~15 times more abrasion resistance (that is what your refering to, not hardness) than carbon steel in part due to it's self lubrication.

My brother has had a similar one for years but just sold it along with his winch. It practically doesn't wear at all and does, as stated, glide nicely against the rope because of the lubricating effect. So I would say go for it! It also might be worth mentioning that the rope he had was of a type I haven't seen elsewhere, but don't remember where he got it believe it was through Oddballrover on here. It had a protective layer ALL the way which made it very durable but sadly also quite expensive. When he bought it some years back he payed in excess of 10 quid per meter.

• 4 months later...

Used the Dyneema fairlead at the LRS Challenge at Harbury lane. Lots of high angle pulls and a few pulls up over the wing tops through the cage. The fairlead didn't like this at all! I have no doubt it saved the rope. The mud and grit in the rope did act as an abrasive and ground away at the fairlead as Tris had read about. However I can't help but think that it would have been the rope that would have been damaged by the mud and grit rather than the fairlead if it was either an Alli or Stainless one. I think they are a great idea and I would definitely use one every time if the price of them came down to more of consumable level of say £10-£15 then a new one for each event is worth it if it extends the life of the rope for a few more events. Will post some pics of the damage when I take it off this weekend.

Used the Dyneema fairlead at the LRS Challenge at Harbury lane. Lots of high angle pulls and a few pulls up over the wing tops through the cage. The fairlead didn't like this at all! I have no doubt it saved the rope. The mud and grit in the rope did act as an abrasive and ground away at the fairlead as Tris had read about. However I can't help but think that it would have been the rope that would have been damaged by the mud and grit rather than the fairlead if it was either an Alli or Stainless one. I think they are a great idea and I would definitely use one every time if the price of them came down to more of consumable level of say £10-£15 then a new one for each event is worth it if it extends the life of the rope for a few more events. Will post some pics of the damage when I take it off this weekend.

Yeah it did work well. Looking for a regular supplier now. Dan...... lol