MattH

Webasto fuel burning heater

Hi all,

been lurking for a while but not really posted before.

I recently bought a Webasto Thermotop C for fitting into the engine bay of the Disco TD5. As far as I can tell from the RAVE discs it is fitted somewhere on the passenger side near the turbo.

Am I on the right track?

Would anyone who has one fitted, either original kit or aftermarket fitment be able to post any pictures?

My plans at the minute are to get it running as a supplementary heater ie to boost warm up when the engine is running first of all, then, when I have proved its working well either add a timer or bodge a remote control from an old mobile phone. So any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated.

whenever I get round to fitting it I will try and take plenty of pics as it might be of interest to others.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

i know that on the 'wolf' varient defender we have the webasto fitted on the left of the engine above the shock turret with the air box on the right above the fuel lift pump hope this helps adz

Matt

Can you share any info that you get? I've also got a Webasto that I plan on fitting in my TD5 Defender at some stage...

Tom

After much Googling and pondering over Rave and Microcat discovered that the Webasto heaters are normally mounted in the space between the ABS block and the main bulkhead, exactly where my secondary battery is!

Spent the last week modifying the battery tray to move it more towards the wing by a few inches to allow the FBH to fit in a vertical position between the battery and the turbo/ exhaust.

All the googling said that all the Discos were wired for the FBH but initially I couldnt find any evidence of the looms or plugs. After forking out nearly £20 for all the necessary plugs I found the LR originals taped up inside the loom behind the ABS and PS reservoir.

Next few jobs is to run the fuel line (hope the plug for the fuel pump is somewhere underneath!) make an exhaust, plumb it in, enable it by Nanocom and ENJOY :D

Knowing my luck summer will be here before that happens though.

I will post some pictures after next weekend if anyones interested.

Matt

I will post some pictures after next weekend if anyones interested.

Matt

Yes please!

Keep us posted with this, very interested, lots if pics please. :D

Cheers.

Been a while!

How did you get on?

I'm interested in how you plumbed in to the cooling system.

Pics would be good if you have any

Cheers

Peter

Mine is LHD, and it is mounted behind the fusebox (further back towards the bulkhead).

ROughly where the red box is on the attached picture.

post-2596-0-62661700-1302243404_thumb.jpg

Hi , I know this is an old thread but I'd like to fit a webasto heater to my Discovery 2 . I'm just wanting to know which type of heater to get and which external sensor I need and fuel pump. 

Thanks Stuart 

Stuart,

Depends what type of heater you want really - coolant heater or air heater?

Both types can be self-contained, all require their own specific fuel pump, none require an external sensor unless you want one for a specific reason.

• Thanks 1

Hi , thanks for the reply. I've found a webasto heater from a Rover 75 the Land Rover electrical plugs connect. Does anyone know how and where the coolant pipes attach to the engine ? I've a workshop manual but it doesn't show that. Can find any photos on line . Thanks Stuart 

20190123_171017.jpg

I edited a Td5 coolant flow circuit, you have to direct the flow which goes into the heater matrix through the FBH, i hope you figure it out from the scheme, the inlet is at the bottom, outlet at the top

FBH coolant flow.jpg

Edited by sierrafery