ARB or KAM

Personally i'm wary of "shouty" components on something as easily stealable as a landrover. I've painted my galv chassis black for that very reason.

As such it puts me off the KAM unit simply on security grounds if nothing else.

Thats not to say its a bad product, i've no experience of either, I just don't like the idea of my axle shouting "I have 700quids worth of gubbins inside me" to any interested parties.

Hi Pete, not used either, but I've had friends with both while I've been using Toyota E-lockers.

The ARB is probably the higher regarding, more proven system. However you need the additional complications of the compressor, airlines, and electrics to control the valve. You also need to source uprated shafts seperately to go with the diff (obviously if you buy from someone like Ashcroft they can sell you a complete 'kit'). No LSD option is available, but you add an Eaton Truetrac in the front.

The KAM diffs are available as LSD, Locker, or both and both can be uprated to include the other at a later date, so that would fit you requirements. They also come as a complete kit with shafts etc so the pricing is clearer. The locker is probably more involved to install due to the cut and weld of the axle case, but you don't have the added air compressor to worry about.

Both KAM and Ashcroft are represented on the Forum, so you could search to see what comments have been made in the past.

Personally I like the KAM system as I've seen many ARBs suffering from air supply problems (compressor seals, leaky air lines etc). In my experience the electric actuation is the way to go.

Kams are built up.... hmmm interesting... didnt realise that!

(although they only do 24 spline from what i can see... so wouldnt fit in axle very well as i have 10 spline...)

If Mr Kam reads this at all (not sure of his name, sorry), PM me as (with the correct discount) he might get a locker and LSD off me. hehe

Thanks for help... more help needed however. Who has used what and why?

Pete

ps, my friend has a truetrack, but when one wheel is in the air, and one is not, it doesnt seem to drive... so not 100% sure on them.

This question is a bit like which wheelbase should my challenge truck be (101 inch BTW :) ).... Its really down to personal perf i guess, what works from some might not work for others.

I use Kam parts in both axles on my truck and i am happy with them.

my reasons for using them.

One stop shop for my axles every thing cv's, shafts, lockers, ring and pinions all made by them so one phone call for parts support etc...

there location is not far from me so i can save on shipping

I like the removable diff pan as it gives quick easy access to the diff esp on useful on the front axle.

These are just my reasons and at the end of the day arb and kam lockers do the same thing, but iam not sure i would get the same level of support from arb. Last year i did have a go at the TAT in Romania and kam sorted me out with a good sale or return package on any spares i might have needed.

With my challenged truck i am not bother about "shouty components" as with the roll cage, chall wings, multiple winches tyres etc.. you hardly notice the axles :)

I had a KAM Locker fitted by the boys at Kam last summer. Absolutely love it, engages instantly and disengages almost as fast. I've not needed it yet but I felt that if i needed support the guys at KAM will offer it. Plenty of time for me as customer when i was there, showed me round the workshop and had a look various products they were making. Cant praise them enough.

Unless you look at the pan your not going to sport it. Im sure I remember seeing they come in different colours, but if your that worried id just paint it black and stick a coat of waxoil over the top.

If your landy is going to get stolen its going to get stolen. Big tyres, winches etc will all catch the eye faster than a diff case especially if painted black.

Pete, if you're fitting lockers and plan to use them in anger you WILL need to replace your shafts, particularily the front 10 spline. I've broken front shafts on 32" tyres and no lockers, with lockers and bigger tyres you'd need 10 spare shafts to get through a play day! Again the KAM deal makes sense because as Moose says you can buy a complete package.

AFAIK the Truetrac is a form of LSD, so when 1 wheel is in the air you will get some slip and the air bourne wheel will turn. Only a full mechanical locker will stop this, LSDs and traction control will only reduce the slip, a mechainical locker will completely stop it.

I have KAM LSD lockers in both axles, with the corresponding up-rated splines and half-shafts. They have been brilliant so far, and have a 5 year warranty.

I thought about painting them black, this way unless you look closly you won't spot them, but regardless of this, if someone knows enough about LR's to see you have such gear then they will go for it.