winch question???

Hi all

Iv been given an x9 winch for nothing as it is of unknown age or working condition. at present its 24v its all there from what i can see apart from the controller. its been sat outside for a while by the looks of it and the clutch lever wont move.

its gonna need some work i think :blink:

now is it possible to run a 24v winch on a 12v truck as iv seen quite often on different sites and truck 24v winches fitted and dont know if they are 24v trucks??

or do i change all the electrics to 12v and will it work ok? ie are the 12v + 24v winches the same apart from the motor and solenoids?

if either of the above are possible what would be cheaper or better???

is it worth the hassle to sort it out are they any good? at present i have a cheap 12000lb winch from ebay on the front and would like someting better but cant afford a warn 8274 at the mo just ordered a locker winch fund gone for a while :)

many thanks

No problem running 24v on a 12v car. I had this on one of mine. Problem is you'll need two extra batteries for 24v circuit and an additional 24v alternator fitted to engine to charge them, so quite an additional expense.

24v is good for winching though as it's halves the current consumed, so less drain on batteries and aletrnator for a given winching scenario.

Or you could change out motor for 12v one and fit an albright solenoid.

The winch should be easy to service. Free spool is probably jammed due to rust. Water can get in through the handle onto the ring gear and it rusts causing it to jam solid with the outer casing. It only takes a couple of hours to completely strip and clean a low line winch. I've used LR CV one shot grease when putting it back together and that works well.

Sounds like a bad idea, as you would need a helluva voltage dropper to cope with the starter motor current draw!

Put in a 24V starter and you are somewhere near it... even though, powering the entire rest of the vehicle would be pushing it for even the biggest droppers, and would cost more than you'd think....

Google has showed me that the cold cranking amps needed for a 300 tdi are 570 minimum so like you say a voltage dropper is out of the question unless using a 24v starter motor. These cost £300+ new as far as I can tell so the second alternator and two extra batteries are easily the cheapest way. Sorry if I threadjacked here, been trying to work out the best way to get the 24v winch I have fitted to my 12v 110.

Well iv stripped the winch today and it turns out the motor is shot to plop anyway as well as the solenoids ans its been outside and all the cable conectors on them have rusted away. as for the rest of it the freespool lever has just snaped out of the end case so getting a qoute from goodwinch for the bits needed to change it over to 12v and the new case,lever bit that broke :D

just need to take some pics for them to see what lever it is.

i guess there are several models of x9 winches?

have any of you got one on here??

are they any good???

many thanks

There are 2 types of X9 the first has a plastic freespool leaver which is held on by a small pin and the mark 2 which had a alloy freespoll leaver

Have just dune up one for a friend which needed a new motor and solenid and rewireing to the motor not hard work

If you check out David Bower site http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/ you can get a plan of all the parts and part numbers under spares & service

The main thing to check is the brake inside the drum there is a small bearing in the brake which can seeze and stop the shaft which pass through the drum and the brake to the gear box from turning which will stall the motor and burn it out very quickly ( this is what happen my friend and he had tried a second motor before givein it to me to sort out )

also in the gear box strip it was in desiel and use a little grease and gear oil to lubricate as it makes it easier to pull out on freespool