Anyone tried 235/70x16 tyres on a Freelander?

chrisstevenson

Just 'won' a set of 16" freeelander alloys on evil bay. however they have been shod with 235/70x16's, approx 1.5" taller than the original 195/80x15's, so they're not that much taller in height (but a fair bit wider). Just wondering if I'm going to experience any problems with clearance or full lock?

If there is a problem it will be with the sidewalls on the inside touching the suspension, I had 215/75R15 on my old Freelander Td4 and even 215s were pretty close. But I guess if they are on Freelander rims already, they have been fitted? might be worth checking the sidewalls for any evidence of rubbing

If there is a problem it will be with the sidewalls on the inside touching the suspension, I had 215/75R15 on my old Freelander Td4 and even 215s were pretty close. But I guess if they are on Freelander rims already, they have been fitted? might be worth checking the sidewalls for any evidence of rubbing

Yikes! Good point, I never thought of that!

The good news is that you can get your hand in behind the wheel to check this clearance. I seem to remember that I couldn't get my hand down between the tyre and the suspension mounting so 235s might fit but they are gonna be tight!

Well I put them on last night, they fit a treat! More than enough clearance at the top of the tyre under the spring support plate on the strut, no rubbing anywhere. The wider track now makes the car feel more stable on the road, and best of all it cruises at 70mph with the engine revs just below 3000 rather than screaming at over 3200 (speedo reads 66mph, GPS says 70mph). One small hitch, other than the speedo reading low now, was the crappy locking wheel nut removal tool, it disintegrated and I ended up welding a socket on the end of the stud. New one on order! Thank god this happened on my driveway and not somewhere in the south of france!

OK no problem I'll post one or two tomorrow, and yes - best of all- it looks much better, almost like a real landrover now! It also stops quicker on muddy roads now, probably thanks to the wider contact area, it doesnt have ABS. Just the small task of an IRD swap any day now and it'll be an excellent vehicle despite its minor glitches.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that you will need a lift kit to stop any rubbing. There are two ways of doing this. 1> Uprate the springs which will give 1.5" extra. 2> Fit a lift kit as supplied by DAP (US BASED) which will give 2" extra.

Of course the wheels will need re-alinging afterwards.

I am trying to source a UK based company for the lift kit as I am keen to try it.

I heard that you will need a lift kit to stop any rubbing. There are two ways of doing this. 1> Uprate the springs which will give 1.5" extra. 2> Fit a lift kit as supplied by DAP (US BASED) which will give 2" extra.

Of course the wheels will need re-alinging afterwards.

I am trying to source a UK based company for the lift kit as I am keen to try it.

Didnt need any lift kit, will post pics as soon as I can find my camera!

• 2 weeks later...
Didnt need any lift kit, will post pics as soon as I can find my camera!

Thats big run 225/75/16 which rubs all over running spacers and lift and steeing adjusted arm so they don't hit the chassis legs.

have you pushed it off road yet...

the front bumper normaly rubs first

The DAP lift kit is exactly the same one that Bearmach sell in the UK. It's a 2" lift and costs abouit £200.

Alternatively, it's fairly easy to make one up yourself. The bits and pieces to do it yourself cost about £20 :)

The DAP lift kit is exactly the same one that Bearmach sell in the UK. It's a 2" lift and costs abouit £200.

Alternatively, it's fairly easy to make one up yourself. The bits and pieces to do it yourself cost about £20 :)

Thanks I will look at the Beermach one as I believe there are import duties on the DAP, possibly making it the more expensive option. Also you can't order on-line. I'll bet the delivery times are longer from DAP, coming from the states. Haven't got the tech know how to make me own. I tend to use a mechanic to do the mucky work.<_<:blink:

This in mine with 225/75/r16 BFG's

freelander_310_1.jpg

Here is Harvey co-driving for me.

04 BORC

julianrally2.jpg

this is my old racer now the wife's with 225/75/r16

I wish I knew three weeks ago I through out a load of old Bilstein Freelander shocks with a Bearmach set still fitted.

I raced my first season with the kit on and had no problems at all its a good Strong kit.

any 2" lift will make the steering arms catch a little but only in a race environment playing I would be surprised if you notice.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I have been given a contact at mailorder4x4.com

Apparentley they are one of Bearmach's biggest customers. Quoted me £149 + Vat for the lift kit with 48Hr delivery at £15. I am getting Camber pins as well as they have recommended. My mechanic is going to do the work for me in the next three weeks or so. Staying with standard 215 65x16's for the mo but will eventually get two sets of 225 75x16's. One set of MT's for off and one road set for everyday use.

I downloaded some instructions for fitting the lift kit through DAP muddy oval links, so my mechanic knew exactly what he's let himself in for.

It states in these that the inner wing holes for the track rods need to be deepened.

• 2 weeks later...
It states in these that the inner wing holes for the track rods need to be deepened.

Yep or your steering will lock up.

That can be a little worrying it only dose it when cornering at speed on full lock. which would be just the time you don't want you steering to lock up.

If your garage has not done it before it will take him longer to fit the trim off to get to the rear shock than it will to get the shocks off..

I can get my race shocks off and replaced tyre back on in 15mins each on the silver one and 25mins on the dakar one.

(I'm normally knackered after doing two at that pace :huh: )

It took B 4x4 6-8hrs to do four shock replacements on my camel and its takes so long on a full car to get all the trim stripped out. not there fault just takes so long.

• 4 weeks later...

After somehow running with the 235/70/16's for a while now (and finding no problems with rubbing unless really driven hard off road) it was time for a new MOT and as the rears were just on the legal limit I decided to replace them with the next size down just to get the extra clearance, went for 225/70/16's, they have a 15 - 20mm smaller diameter, and not quite so wide obviously - I think that this is probably the best option for someone wanting fatter tyres but who doesnt want to wait for the day when the tyres rub when driving fast off road. Will try and get some good before and after pics for the archieve!