CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wondered what cb's are people using as i'm thinking about a new one, I don't wanna spend hundeds of pounds as the landy is only for the weekends, also coupled with this im wanting to add a centre console, the only two I can find is the Mud one and Raptor, any one have any experience of these? is there a lot of room behind them for relays, etc? or can suggest another manufacturer?. I plan to fit a standard cd head unit, cb, 4 light switches and maybe 2 cigar type sockets. The Raptor one it at the moment the one I fancy but it doesn't come in the configuration I like, I know I can pay to have it done to my specs but £20.00 does bump the price up a bit.

You don't need to spend hundreds on a CB set-up. Previously I've used a Team MC8 and that was a nice small unit that did everything I ever needed to... I currently use a Midland as it was fitted to the truck already.

Have a look at http://www.thunderpole.co.uk and you'll see a few options for starter packs that come with everything you need...

As for the dash, I have no direct experience of either, but from having a poke around them at the Indoor 4x4 show, the Raptor one feels like it's a bit more solid. I'm not sure what the options are like on the Raptor one, but I would suggest buying one with most of the cut-outs you need, then adding more as time goes on...

I would also recommend that you don't fit relays behind the dash. Better in the battery box, or under the bonnet. This way, they are easy to get to when they fail and you don't have lots of power feeds running up to the dash. It's easy to get a small feed up there to supply all of the switches, but better to have the larger power side of things out of the way.

I got one of the raptor ones at the indoor show the other week, Its really easy to fit . I have a midland cb already that suited one of the pre cut fronts im very happy with it. I used to have the cb fitted under the dash/shelf in front of the passenger seat but its a lot neater now. The console is a good solid piece of kit and well worth the money.

• 9 months later...

I'm looking into getting my first CB, mainly for off-road and greenlaning.

I'm considering two models:

1. Team TS-6M - I've heard that this is well made and a good entry level set, not too costly yet useful and robust.

2. Midland 248XL - A lot of people on here use or used the predecessor, the Midland 48. It seems to have a good reputation and while a little more costly, it has some features that I may find useful after becoming more familiar with CB.

However, I've spoken with someone who does not stock them because of problems they've had with Midland sets so the question is, has the quality of Midland CB's dropped recently?

Any input on these two sets would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

• 2 years later...

Dragging up an old thread to ask a question...

I've become involved with the Lothian & Borders 4x4 Response and as part of the training I need to pass my foundation exam.

I'd like to fit a radio & antenna in the car but unsure which to go for. It will be used for exercises (inter-vehicle & back to main centre) and communication with RAYNET. What are my best options? I don't mind drilling holes so won't go for a mag mount.

I saw someone mention a handheld plugged into the antenna. I liked that idea as last week we went for a walk in Glen Nevis and I realised that for over 4 hours there was no absolutely no mobile signal and we hadn't seen anyone. Therefore a handheld unit I can take in my rucksack might be an idea but not sure yet.

So... Opinions please...

thanks,

Heds

one of my dual band antenna [2m/79cms] is a Watson 77LS http://wsplc.com/index.php/w-77ls-watson-2m-70cm-dualbander.html

my long one on roof of my 110 is this http://wsplc.com/index.php/antennas-tuners/vhf-uhf-antennas/w-7900-watson-2m-70cm-dualbander-with-fold-over-base.html

also had great results from this http://wsplc.com/index.php/antennas-tuners/vhf-uhf-antennas/w-770hb-watson-2m-70cm-dualbander-with-fold-over-base.html

my fitted dual band rig is a kenwood TM-D700 & mu dual band handie is a Kenwood TH-D7E which can be used with a vehicle fitted antenna.