CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i am off to russia and by our resident expert was told that i would need a good cb and amp as they are useing around 400watt amps.

As the woods and granite sucks the signal!!!

I have no experience at all in this department so any help is welcome.

Also want the cheapest sat phone as hopefully will not need one but its a safety thing and would prefer to take one anyway ideas welcome. :unsure:

Guest diesel_jim

The trouble with having mega power on any radio, as i'm sure the likes of Ralph (certified.....whoops, i mean err, certified radio operator :lol: ) will tell you, is it's only good if the other person has good power too.

you'll be able to reach them, they'll hear you, but when they to reply, you won't hear them.

how far are you trying to talk (distance), maybe CB isn't for you, perhaps a decent vehicle mounted VHF (like PMR) or even a HF set, if you're that worried about long distances.

he has been my biggest help so far we are doing it to rase money for the local handcaped school and nersury and for the hospital involed with them

we would be lost with out dollythelw most people say want make it as only me and my mate going with no back up crew or parts van so carrying everything with us

Last year we all had Zetagi B150 amps as they're reasonably priced and have a good kick, they do a 300W one too but TBH once you're in the forest no-one's going to hear you after a few miles anyway. We got all our gear from Nevada as they are a good bunch and they're only 15 minutes from my house :P

Hope to see you there, if you've been chatting to Jez you should be getting all the right info anyway. Apart from the bit about it being a really good idea to enter Ladoga :lol:

Are you going this year too John?

Once my credit card stops cowering under the sofa coughing up blood I'm hoping to be able to make it and offer some support to Jez, yes. At least this year my truck is actually built already :ph34r: although Jez does have a little bit to do on his I believe :blink:

• 2 months later...

Just to add to the mix - I have two Intek M150+ sets (van and 110) and am really impressed with them!

Unusually they have a front speaker and can fit in a standard car-radio din slot. The sensitivity and clarity are pretty good.

Previous rig was Midland - and I wasn't all that impressed. The only bit of traditional 'Midland' on it was the name. The mic supplied was rubbish and after a year and a half the main PCB died due to vibration.

Although I've not had the Intek's for long enough to be certain, the construction is much more 'traditional' and I think they will survive off roading better.

Si

I've got an Intek M-490 and it seems like a very very well made piece of kit. has very very good clarity even over longer distances- coming back from 7sisters i was chatting to Matt Neale who was around 12 miles behind me- clear as day!

Dont think it's likely to stop working any time soon.

I've got an Intek M-490 and it seems like a very very well made piece of kit. has very very good clarity even over longer distances- coming back from 7sisters i was chatting to Matt Neale who was around 12 miles behind me- clear as day!

Dont think it's likely to stop working any time soon.

I have a 20 year old york, size of a small house, but its regularly under water (a fault of megasquirt - Im looking at you Utteridge!), as soon as the speaker cone dries out, its good to go again!

• 6 months later...

army surplus. i had one years ago when i used to go dx'ing on the old cb - it extended to about 40ft when out, and was about 5ft long when collapsed. i did have a bracket made so that it slotted onto the towbar of my old car, couple of guide ropes and away you went.

these guys do ally versions

http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/shop_TelescopicMasts.php

What you use will also depend on what you want to put on top of it, how long you want to use it and what conditions.

I have here a Clark telescopic which is not quite as high as you want but will take a cross-head carrying three antenna and will do it in all weathers.

If you only want to get a little more coverage on a good day with a light quarter wave whip then I use one of those carbon fishing poles you use to put club flags on. They are quite cheap and extend to 6 metre.

Something like this may suit.

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog...ast-p-5387.html

Steve