CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

im looking to purchase a cb there are many makes any suggestions and what will fit where as space appears limited any suggestions and best fitting places thanks chris

When I wer a lad (20 odd years ago!!!!) ....CB's were all the rage.

Midland were a name around then and they have survived all this time so when I get one it will be one of these.

im looking to purchase a cb there are many makes any suggestions and what will fit where as space appears limited any suggestions and best fitting places thanks chris

if you want to see how you'll use one before shelling out the coing, i have a spare in the garage your welcome to if you'll stand the postage or collect it

just needs a mic and fitting it?

if you want to see how you'll use one before shelling out the coing, i have a spare in the garage your welcome to if you'll stand the postage or collect it

Get an 80 channel CEPT model, UK CB freqs are due to dissapear in 2010.

I have a Maycom EM27, nice little rig.

cheers guys ill give thunderpole a try

I got the Midland 48 Plus Multi (it has UK, CEPT and most European channels too), with mag-mount, whip and SWR meter all for £97 from 4x4CB.com - next day delivery and a good deal cheaper than Thunderpole (not that I have anything against Thunderpole). The service/comms from 4x4CB was good too. I was a little concerned about the cheap aerial (everybody says buy the best 'twig' that you can afford), but it was amazing! SWR on a good groundplane was almost impossibly low... Very satisfied :D

Some may be thinking: Magmount on a RRC? Ahh! the bonnet... but no ;) I'm going to glue a piece of steel under the roof and paint a circle on the top to mark the 'sweet-spot'. Done some tests and the mag-mount holds bl@@dy well and SWRs at about 1.8 to 2.5 across the channels - and no problems with corroding alloy earths.. I'll probably do a technical post about it soon (unless it's already been done).

Intention is to pass the cable through the roof at the rear so that if the twig gets swept off by a branch the it will just dangle down the rear.

Getting a snatch plate too... Not sure where I'm going to mount it yet though. Once it's decided and mounted properly i reckon I will be able to adjust the SWR down a bit, but I think it's fine for mow.

Cheers

Rog

thanks for the offer spoke to thunderpole today looks like ill be getting a midland many thanks

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if it is legal to use a CB radio in Europe?

I have an 80 channel rig (40UK & 40EU). Is a licence required?

Talking mainly France and Spain.

Cheers.

Never had any problem in Spain with ours, but as for license not as far as i know, and nothing mentioned about needing one on the ofcom site.

regards

Keith

got another one spare Tim? may need to borrow some handhelds or bring the PMRs

Have the one you tried in Wales, that worked, if i remember right,

The new one you pick up from Mark, does the same thing, so the fault must be in the truck ! ??

Guest diesel_jim

When Sue and I go to our place in Spain, i always take my PMR's, handy when i'm out running or she's on the beach catching the rays.

quite often you hear the locals yabbering away on them, they're quite popular there.

that one works, just dont want to take it out!

You had better start fitting it now if you are to get it done in time James. :P

I have a Handheld with car adapter if anyone needs to borrow one for the trip. I also have more PMRs than I know what to do with!

Chris

Am I right in thinking that the UK channels are to be scrapped anyway and that the Uk will soon be running on the EU frequencies? Or did I just make that up?

:blink:

I know for sure that you don't need a licence in the UK anymore.

Dan :)

Am I right in thinking that the UK channels are to be scrapped anyway and that the Uk will soon be running on the EU frequencies? Or did I just make that up?

:blink:

I know for sure that you don't need a licence in the UK anymore.

Dan :)

No you have read it somewhere, the existing UK only channels [original 1981 40 channels] will be discontinued [& re issued to another service/user most likely]

IIRC the UK only frequencies cease in 2010

• 2 months later...

I have one of these from thunderpole: Team MC-8

Service from thunderpole has always been good, and the CB itself is very compact and has worked faultlessly for me for 18 months since I bought it. I know however, that my brother has the same one, and had to have it replaced under warranty, but thunderpole dealt with that too.

There was an MC-8 for sale in the calssifieds recently too, don't know if it was sold tho...

HTH

Mark