CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

I have one of these from thunderpole: Team MC-8

Service from thunderpole has always been good, and the CB itself is very compact and has worked faultlessly for me for 18 months since I bought it. I know however, that my brother has the same one, and had to have it replaced under warranty, but thunderpole dealt with that too.

There was an MC-8 for sale in the calssifieds recently too, don't know if it was sold tho...

HTH

Mark

thunderpole are fantasic bought my cb at 10.00am and it arived the next day they even upgraded me foc as the one I wanted was out of stock did it all online

Midland is my vote too.

And here some tips on where and how to fit it in the cab:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/1181760640..._314_268506.jpg

http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/1181760640..._314_217596.jpg

As western says in his link: watch out for the antenna - it is as important as the radio it selves. I got Santiago 600 (2 meters). Can't fit any parking garages anymore, but worh of it.

In complicated and quite hilly terrain in Germany I reached the full 10 Km. In Holland 50 km no problem.

Also, this model has a switch for external speaker that I put here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/1181760640...314_1381949.jpg

http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/1181760640..._314_107911.jpg

I had to hide it as it is not legal to have this kind of toy in Belgium.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've ordered a Midland 38 from Thunderpole.

Just have to fit it :blink: & master the lingo now - must watch Convoy again... :lol:

wouldn't worry about learning the CB lingo, hardly anyone uses it now, just clearly spoken will be fine :D

Just have to fit it :blink: & master the lingo now - must watch Convoy again... :lol:

Whoooaa there good budy - I found www.4x4cb.com to be very helpful and a bit cheaper than Thunderpole... Definitely worth a look. Oh - and their aerials are great! They SWR real low straight out of the box :)

TwoSheds

has anyone else had to fit a supressor

for some reason i get a buzzing noise if i plug in the external spkr

Is that why I have a buzz. I took as a cheap Speaker where do you get a Suppressor & where abouts do you fit it?? <_<

I only get a buzz over 4000rpm, and so does the CB :D

My chicken wire EM27 has done about 6 years and been in 6 different vehicles and so far no problems (that's gone and done it now :rolleyes: ), but next time I'll be getting one with a PA function.

the front board is hard soldered to the main board these connections just broke on 2 of them for me

Simon repaired it once in Wales then it failed again a bit later.

ebay saw the back of them.

Tangoman Nicks failed in the same way, he now has a Midland IIRC

here goes just some this takes me back when my Dad use to sell CB's at a Tandy Store!!

Glossary

10-4 - 10-codes are widely used in radio transmissions. (Even the British police use them, though the meanings of the various numbers vary from force to force.) 10-4, in this context, is an affirmative response.

10-9 - Repeat last message.

Bear - See 'Smoky Bear'.

Cab-over - Style of lorry where the cab sits directly over the engine, ie there's no bonnet. Nearly all British lorries are 'cab-overs'.

Chi-town - Chicago, Illinois.

Chicken coops - Weigh Stations.

Copy - 'You gotta copy on me?': Are you receiving me?

Flip-flop - 'On the flip-flop': On the return journey.

Front door - To have the front door means to lead a convoy. Not surprisingly, to have the back door (which isn't used in the song) means to bring up the rear.

Hammer - 'Put the hammer down': To put your foot down.

I-one-oh - Interstate 10.

Jimmy - Make of truck (GM - General Motors).

Kenworth - Make of truck.

On the side - Monitoring transmissions, but no longer transmitting.

Pete - Make of truck (Peterbilt).

Reefer - Refrigerated trailer.

Rigs - Vehicles, especially trucks.

Rubber Duck - Decoy. A lone truck which goes ahead of the main convoy to draw police patrols out of hiding.

Smokies - See 'Smoky Bear'.

Smoky Bear - Police. Apparently the US Forestry Service some years ago ran a publicity campaign to encourage people to be careful not to start fires, which involved a large bear in a police-style uniform. The bear was called 'Smoky Bear', and the name started to be applied to the police.

Suicide jockey - Driver hauling a dangerous load.

Twenty - 10-20. Home destination.

• 4 months later...

Can you take the 3.5mm jack external speaker output of a CB and plug it into an aux input on a standard car head unit?

similarly could you also pluc the external speaker into a line in (or a mic in even) inmput on a in car PC?

would you need to step the wattage down, and if so, how would you do it?