CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

Can you take the 3.5mm jack external speaker output of a CB and plug it into an aux input on a standard car head unit?

Yes it's what I do, so that I can actually hear the CB ;) I bought a head unit that jack plug on front of unit so that I can switch between CB and iPod

As for that in car PC, I would say that it depends on type, and the fact that I don't know :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

chees steve

is there a huge volume difference between swapping between the Cb and the IPOD- do you have to turn the stereo right down?

Is the sound quality at least as good as one small speaker?

No adjustment in volume needed on my unit between radio, ipod or cb. I have two roof mounted speakers for my stereo and the sound quality is a lot better than the small CB speakers.

It would be handy if you could have the radio on and just be interrupted when someone is talking on CB, as the downside of this set up is you can't have CB and radio on at the same time.

Cheers

Steve

El Puggo,

Welcome to world of Professional Mobile Radio ………………….

The commercial way we would do this is to use an amplified external speaker on the CB (read PMR in my case) and then use a ‘squelch open’ output from the PMR to mute the ICE…………… connector A pin 2……………..

Plugging a speaker connection (3 – 8 ohms impedance) into a PC line in will not be a good idea as the line in is designed as a high impedance input …………… this will lead to all sorts of issues ……………………. It would be much better to find a low level output from the source device………….

:)

Ian

• 1 month later...

A working CB has now made it's way to the top of my want/need list, so any suggestions / experience of a good, basic, idot proof setup ?

What should i look for and what do i need. I've already got a long springy aireal and mount.

I've been browsing through 4x4cb.com and am now totaly confused :blink:

A lot of us have the Midland 42, in fact we liked them so much the club bought 10 of them for marshals - they work in-car with an adapter to use 12v from the lighter socket and connect to a proper aerial, or you can attach the battery pack and have it as a walkie-talkie.

midland42_web22.jpg

Midland at Nevada Radio

I think I have a midland 98. Works good for me. Nice small compact and easy to use

Edited to add that I have the 1 Ralph has linked to . So that's my my CB recognition skills need to be practised

Both Mark and I have one of these from Thunderpole.

Easy to use, relatively cheap and the only problem I've had was a knackered hand mic. Turned out to be a broken wire. They were happy to replace it after I sent the broken one back.

Thunderpole offer a good quick service and are very helpful on the end of the phone, too.

Both Mark and I have one of these from Thunderpole.

Easy to use, relatively cheap and the only problem I've had was a knackered hand mic. Turned out to be a broken wire. They were happy to replace it after I sent the broken one back.

Thunderpole offer a good quick service and are very helpful on the end of the phone, too.

I have an MC-8 as well, also from Thunderpole. Works well and the service from Thunderpole has been excellent.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

i know this sound stupid but ive installed a cb and wired the ariel up but it dont work(no signal) have wired the feed wire the said areil and the earth to the body but only get a lot of noise ! is anyone local who would be willing to turn theres on so i can see if it works

turn the squelch all the way off [normally turn full anti clockwise/left], so you get 'white noise' aka background hissing, then slowly turn the squelch on[normally clockwise/right] until the niose ceases, thats the optimium setting, then just put out a call on channel 19 for a audio & signal report, don't bother trying to use american cb jargon, just plain language will be sufficent.

It's like that - mainly just white noise, apart from early evening when toilet-mouthes are on for a while before they get too smashed to even talk... Their lives appear to revolve around alcohol, drugs, swearing, racism and selling each other CB kit.

Anyway - sorry to drift like that... What I was going to suggest is checking the SWR with a meter before spending too long with the transmit button pressed - it is possible to fry your output transistors if you have a bad joint somewhere in your aerial system, and most manufacturers will not replace said trannies under warranty.