CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know if tourists need a licence in Spain? Have been informed of this,

but can't find any info. Even the Spanish embassy advised us to use google. :blink::lol:

We'll be going from France to Andorra into Spain.

Don't want to upset the locals....

found this ------- within ---> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...cbinfosheet.pdf

Can I use my CB radio abroad?

2.10 You will not be permitted to use CB equipment which incorporates the UK channels

(27.60125-27.99125 MHz, i.e. UK Channels 1-40), abroad.

2.11 Use of CB equipment abroad, with EU channels only as denoted in and based on

ETS 300 135, is likely to be permitted, but prior to travelling you must check with the

administration of the country concerned whether it may be used and whether any

conditions apply.2.12 When operating abroad, you must comply with the conditions of authorisation of the

country which you are visiting.

best to check before travelling or risk having your rig confiscated.

also read/chek the documents mentioned here http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/pdf/DEC9811E.PDF

We've lived in spain for a while now, and generally the police over there are fine, from our research if it's legal in the country of origin then it is legal in europe HOWEVER, the problem is not with the radio itself but with the frequencies used, for all you know it could be the same as the emergency hospital channel, or the one the police order their tapas on (they'd be unhappy at that!)

i'd advise not using it in built up areas but you should get away with it out in the sticks, if you do get a pull for using it, for gods sake don't start arguing with them, be polite and try to explain it was on by mistake or something, also try to memorise a little spanish, just basics but they go a long way over there, especially with the police.

also remeber there are different forces, if the guardia civil stop you they're not too bad, but the traffic police and the military police can be right b******s, so watch it with them, they have green military style uniforms, they usually stop you for over-enthusiastic drug/weapon searches, but be very nice to them, or you might find yourself on the butt of a glock!

we found the police over there generally fine, and surprisingly professional, but that will change big-time if you take an attitude with them...

thinking about it, if you pop into the police station and attempt a bit of spanish they may be able to advise you on suitable/unsuitable channels

• 3 weeks later...

ive had my CB radio for quite a while, and its gone unused for abou 5 or 6 months due to rubbish ariel. i bought an ariel at newark show this weekend, and connected it up but there was no one on any of the channels. this left me wandering if my CB has gone bust because im in a high contact area between 2 main quarries. surely i should have picked up something. i am pretty sure it doesent need SWRing because i thought they were all pre-tuned nowadays.

any suggestions guys

cheers, mikey

They definitely aren't pre tuned - I know some sellers say that but at the end of the day the aerial length may end up being about right - but it can't overcome a poor installation and a bad ground.

I'd SWR it and then get a friend round with theirs to test it out. The quarry guys most likely will be using a different set of frequencies if they have official radio gear in their trucks.

ps - looked for you at Newark - but too many folk to pick you out :)

As the above post says "pre tuned" is aload of cods wallop.Unless you buy a nice sirio then they are nearly bang on.

During the tme you havn't used it have you had a twig on or not?.If you havn't water could have got in the mount and corroded the inside.

If your using a body mount i would clean it up and run a wire from the underneath of the mount to a good earthing spot then try.If your using a gutter mount try scraping the paint off where the screws hold it down and if your using a mag mount check the connections inside because theya re notorious from corroding.If still no luck with any of that jazz inspect your ariel cable or renew.If still no luck have a gander on a cb fourum.

with 40 channels to choose from, your lucky to hear anyone on air anyway. If you live close to a motorway you may get lorry drivers or you may get local farmers, some have them in tractors. When I do anything with mine, the only real test is to ensure you can chat to a mate nearby.

I thought mine was broken recently as I cdidn't hear anyone for weeks. I entered into a long conversation with Jim from Communication Eleven CB as I was going to pop round and test it with him and then I had to take a drive along the M25/M3 and it was alive with people. Obviously where I was there is nobody about.

Since then I have been keeping mine on more in case anyone wants to talk. Can't have CB dying out.

The outer part of the coax wire should be connected to the ground plane, via the aerial mounting. It's not the same as 'earth' and directly earthing it with a wire will give no benefit.

What will give benefit is proper contact with a good ground plane. That's a more important connection in terms of performance. There's no need to add extra wires anywhere.

first of all thanks for the help guys, im now trying to convince my mate to get his CB put into his new rangie so i can test it, also i will borrow his SWR thingy and try to work that out.

The quarry guys most likely will be using a different set of frequencies if they have official radio gear in their trucks.

ps - looked for you at Newark - but too many folk to pick you out :)

ive picked them up a lot before, even had conversations with some that i know, and i know that to find any lorries on yuor CB round here you need channel 12.

Anderzander, did you see the 999 demonstration, if so, i was in the rolled astra, also around the LRM tent quite a bit and i went round rearly every shop. (got free polybushes too :P)

thanks for the help guys

mikey

ps, im using a prefabricated 90degree angled piece of steel attached to the spare wheel carrier as a mount ofr my ariel base, i am thinking of earthing it again, due to the reccomendation of a good ariel earth.

mikey

The earth wire trick doesn't work as you don't need an earth. What you need is to create a second side to your di-pole aerial. You do this by turning your truck into a good groundplane - so all you need is a good metal to metal contact from the aerial mount. Most self SWR'd aerials are pretty good but all need some fine tuning with an SWR meter

Check the mic connections

Try using the rig on a night time - this will give you the best reception and distance

Don't be suprised if no one is out there - social CB is almost dead

i switched it on today and my radio was alive with truckers etc, all talking about each others mums on one channel for some reason. best to stay out of that one lol. the reception could be improved, and for some reason, unusually my radio was displaying at about 4/10 of its full output power, usually full power. any suggestions. ALso have decided to SWR it and i need a supressor for my alternator, (needed one for ages).

mikey