Stock Max. Boost In A Td5 ????

rick

any one know ?

I can't find it in the RAVE, although I did find this,

In the event of an AAP sensor signal failure, any of the following symptoms may be observed:

• Altitude compensation inoperative (engine will produce black smoke).

• Active boost control inoperative.

• Turbocharger boost pressure limited to 1 bar (14.5 lbf.in 2 ).

• EGR altitude compensation inoperative.

I know a 200Tdi is around 12psi, and a 300Tdi is 14.4-15.5psi.

I'm asking as someone on an Oz based forum needs to know to as he's getting his turbo checked out, and he's getting all sorts of carp answers like 7psi, etc. :rolleyes:

Rick,

Quote from disco2.com

The turbocharger used on the Td5 engine is a Garrett GT20. This unit features an electronic modulating wastegate. This enables the ECM to control accurately the amount of boost pressure the engine receives.

I don't know the stock max boost, but since the computer is controlling the boost, how is he checking for max boost?

I'm guessing, if the computer thinks that it should be 7psi during the particular test conditions, then it will adjust the wastegate so that it is 7psi.

So you would need to fool the computer some how, or change the test conditions to see what the boost will max at.

G'day John, good points.

Someones posted on AULRO that it is 1.1-1.2 bar.

The bloke that asked the original Q admits he knows nothing about turbo's, yet is convinced his is faulty.

I did point out to him that you need fuel, as well as air, and the ECM controls this, but........ dunno.gif

BTW, how's the 300TGV coming along ?

I'm starting to think this might be the way to properly mod my Tdi. ;)

Guest diesel_jim

I do know that if you manually try to increase the boost (by shortening the wastegate actuator rod) the engine freaks out and goes into "limp home mode" which makes you look stupid when you go to your $tealership and get them to reset the ECU.... :rolleyes:

don't ask how i know..... :lol:

BTW, how's the 300TGV coming along ?

I still have a few things to do before the rangie can be driven. I don't get enough spare time and making a lot of other mods besides the TDi. ARE took a very long time to make the air to water intercooler.

ARE took a very long time to make the air to water intercooler.

John, how did that end up turning out ?

Is the quality of their work as good as their claims ? as anytime someone in Oz has asked about intercoolers, I've pointed them there instead of the UK stuff. It'd be nice to know if their work is ok.