TD5....no power!

Hi all, Picked up our new dfender on sat- an 03 plate TD5 90, have a few little jobs to do to make it suit our needs...however it appeaars to have a slight issue- more so when cold but still not right when warm. When first started (from cold) it has no power at all- put your foot to the floor on the pedal in neutral and it takes an age to rev up..simialr story when on the move. It gets better as it warms up- but still feels liek it is lacking untill the revs build. Any ideas on where to start? im going to do a full service and see if that helps..but i suspect its something else!

I had a problem similar to the one you describe, when it was on the computer no fault shown with the MAF or the EGR, went round in Circles for weeks then figured it out, mine turned out to be the potentiometer (or however it is spelt!!) on the accelerator pedal it was getting damp, so in the mornings when the Landy was Damp/Cold the resistance had changed and was shorting so I got <68% acceleration with my foot to the floor. Changed unit and sealed and has behaved since.

May not be the same thing but worth a check, not something I would normally think about a strange fault that was hard to find but fairly logical!!

Cheers, Jason.

I had a problem similar to the one you describe, when it was on the computer no fault shown with the MAF or the EGR, went round in Circles for weeks then figured it out, mine turned out to be the potentiometer (or however it is spelt!!) on the accelerator pedal it was getting damp, so in the mornings when the Landy was Damp/Cold the resistance had changed and was shorting so I got <68% acceleration with my foot to the floor. Changed unit and sealed and has behaved since.

May not be the same thing but worth a check, not something I would normally think about a strange fault that was hard to find but fairly logical!!

Cheers, Jason.

Is yours a pre My2002 Defender? If so earlier 2-track pedals were replaced with 3-track ones and these seem to be better sealed and have no problems with water ingress.

Is yours a pre My2002 Defender? If so earlier 2-track pedals were replaced with 3-track ones and these seem to be better sealed and have no problems with water ingress.

no, mine is an 03 My defender, but still had problems with water ingress.

Thanks chaps, i will check the potentiometer later! I did have a look last night-if i unplug the maf it seems to make no difference...so i guess that is ruled out! theres not much diesel in the truck at the mo- so will put some more in later and see if that helps at all.....

Tommac, when you try to rev the engine from cold, do you get any smoke from the exhaust?

I've got a problem with mine that's similar to what you describe but from cold, every push of the loud pedal is accompanied by a huge chuff of greyish smoke and it just wont rev at all, if I try to drive it there's no power whatsoever, however if I just let it tick over for a minute or two and then set off it drives normally.

It's only done this since I replaced the ECU with a later one from a 2004 car, I just wondered if yours showed all the same symptoms.