OT Update from Downunder

reads90

Some nice pics there.

Brings back memories of our drive from Alice to Ayres rock and Olgas, via Stanleys Chasm, Simpsons Gap, Kings Canyon, etc. We done the Olgas windy valley walk in the heat of the day 12-2pm ish, bad move really, but had limited time there before flying out.

My Daughters spending time in Australai and has just finished fruit picking close to Mount Gambia and today just arrived in Alice Springs (she's travelling by Greyhound bus)

It's spooky to think that you could be crossing tracks

It's great to read about your adventure - thanks fortaking the time to post

Chris

If you've have bet me Aus had wild Camels - you'd have taken my money - I never knew :ph34r:

I have heard it said, from several sources, that Aus is the only place with wild camels.

They originally came from India. Thrive here and there are people who catch them for export to middle east.

Ali, I'm incredably jelious. I'm looking forward to hearing the stories when you're back in Blighty

The Camels think is strange IIRC they were brought in as they're one of the few animals that can take prolonged work in the desert. They're pretty horrible animals, though...

The camels originally came in with a bunch of Afghanis who used them to ship goods up to the more remote parts of Australia before they had the railway system. Hence the train from Adelaide to Darwin is called the Ghan. They have just (in the past couple of years) opened the railway all the way to Darwin. In the second world war it used to stop at Pine Creek. This was later removed and the train stopped at Alice Springs. The camels are relatives of those that escaped in the early years. The Arabs pay good money for these Camels as they are very good for racing and, as stated before, they are one of the few remaining undomesticated Camels left.

Cheers

Ivan

If you've have bet me Aus had wild Camels - you'd have taken my money - I never knew :ph34r:

They have the purest breed here in Aus

So pure they sell them to the Arabs

Waht happen is we (the English) bought them over to travel around the place. And when the car came along they just let them go and set them free into the outback. Along with Rabbits, Foxes and the cane toad. :lol: All pest now :huh: