Landrover related questions/post..... do i need to....

(1)I ran the TD5 dry the other week and now it feels sluggish. (service is due has that got any thing to do with it?)

Have i pulled a load of muck up from the bottom of the tank? do i need to flush it through? is that an old wives tale? or if its true ..what product should i use?

(2) i have cleaned and cleaned the door panels but there is still mud ingrained in it, is there a product that you can recommend to remove it?( have a show this weekend)

Thanking you for your help in advance

Mandy.

(1)I ran the TD5 dry the other week and now it feels sluggish. (service is due has that got any thing to do with it?)

Have i pulled a load of muck up from the bottom of the tank? do i need to flush it through? is that an old wives tale? or if its true ..what product should i use?

(2) i have cleaned and cleaned the door panels but there is still mud ingrained in it, is there a product that you can recommend to remove it?( have a show this weekend)

Thanking you for your help in advance

Mandy.

as for cleaning i find open both the doors and stand one side with a jet wash and wash out the inside though the car.

OH you have a poofy 90 so you can't do that sorry :huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

you will have pulled muck from the bottom of the tank if there was muck at the bottom of the tank. possible muck would be particulate debris - rust/sand/small squirells etc: that would get stopped reaching the engine by means of a filter resulting in a blocked or partially blocked filter but easy to check and replace. A blocked or partially blocked filter will restrict fuel to the engine so it won't pull at above certain speeds or inclines depending on how bad it is - seems to match the vague "sluggish" symptoms.

other muck would be water as it is denser than fuel (both petrol and diesel) if this has happened then you may need to bleed the system; dunno much about diesels but they have some galss bowl thingy that is supposed to catch the water or something like that - now waiting for a diesel knowledgeable person to turn up :rolleyes: aslo dunno if this would be the cause of the slugginess.

Thanks, thought for a mo that the posting by me of a LR related problem had sent the whole forum into shock! :)

not sure if there was a squirrel in my tank though! :) :)

Will replace the fuel filter and see if that helps and give it a good blatt on the way to Gaydon. (better still get the other half to do the service as promised weeks ago!?)

No takers on which product to clean the door interiors ?(had hoped someone had a trick up their sleeves)

OK. was hoping to get an answer so as could do it this afternoon, no worries. :( will manage.

Fairy liquid and a nail brush to get into the grain ?

As for the TD5 - once you've changed the filter there is a trick to making them go well.

Its something like disconnect the battery to clear the ECU, then drive it like you stole it for a while. It will learn your driving technique and go like a scalded cat thereafter.

John Bunn at Brookies told me about it, their 110 double-cab TD5 goes really well.

then drive it like you stole it for a while.

sounds like a job for me mand ;)

as for interior door panel cleaning, who make them leather wipes, turtlewax? they do some interior dash wipes, i always find they work well, obviously i dont use them in my landy, i use the Ali kind of cleaning, the jetwash in one door and let it flow out the other :D

No takers on which product to clean the door interiors ?(had hoped someone had a trick up their sleeves)

OK. was hoping to get an answer so as could do it this afternoon, no worries. :( will manage.

As White says try baby wipes, they are excellent for most stains and general cleaning when you don't want too much moisture around.

You could try back to black, as used on dash and interior vinyl.

I resprayed my door cards using a vinyl paint from halfrauds and the result was excellent, due to the preparation.

There is a special spray we used that halfrauds sell for cleaning vinyl prior to spraying.

Try this and then give them a good interior polish.

John

There is a ecu bleed up procedure on a Disco td5 so I would imagine it is the same for the defender.

turn the ignition key to the on position.

and push the throttle peddle fifteen times.(I think)

leave the ignition on

leave for about twenty minutes

(you should hear the pump start to make all sorts of funny noises)

On the td5 disco you have to swith the ingintion on pump the pedal 5 times ani think the warning light comes on the dash - the system then sell primes - I think it's in the handbook somewhere - I would have thought it would be the same for the defender

I use neat road trafffic film remover on the door panels - the stuff you would normally put into a pressure washer

On the td5 disco you have to swith the ingintion on pump the pedal 5 times ani think the warning light comes on the dash - the system then sell primes - I think it's in the handbook somewhere - I would have thought it would be the same for the defender

I use neat road trafffic film remover on the door panels - the stuff you would normally put into a pressure washer

Thanks for correcting me I could not remember how many pumps it was 5 instead of 15

As already said if you run it dry it may have damaged the pump. Do you get max revs when you floor the throttle at a standstill or does it only go up to about 3500 or so? if that, then I would say the pump is kaput. If you don't have a rev counter fitted then park it next to another Td5 and rev each briefly to full revs in turn, the difference is very obvious if there is a problem.

It could be air and yeah 90mph in 4th is one way to bleed the system though I have definitely never tried it :D

bleeding technique after filter change is 5 pumps on the throttle wait until the engine light has stopped flashing then full throttle and crank it till it starts

Mandy, TD5s are a bit of a black art to me, but if clearing the sedimenter (if fitted???) and changeing the filter doesn't do it sort it , then I'd suspect the pump.

As far as the interior goes, the door pannels are a swine to clean. A nail brush is about the best way I've found although the Wruth cleaner Tony found seems to work exeptionally well. I really must make a mental note to get some....

For cleaning the door panel, try dissolving one or two of those cylindrical washing machine tablets (e.g. Persil) in a bucket of very hot water, break up and stir til dissolved then use a fairly stiff brush.

I use it a lot to clean the outside of my 90, works really well but not sure if it would affect a nice paintwork (mine's tatty & brush painted so i'm not too fussed)

Thankyou all for you help.

Re door panels: i used a selection of all the above and it seems to have worked (dont you just love the high spec materials ie (PLASTIC) LR used ?)

As for the tank... Stringy seems to think i have escaped any real damage and a good blat up the motorway tonight will sort it.

you will have pulled muck from the bottom of the tank if there was muck at the bottom of the tank.

Why will this happen when the tank is emptied? If the fuel pick-up floated in the diesel then I could understand it but it does not, is is a rigid tube that is fixed in position at the bottom of the tank.

I concede that when the tank is nearing empty - in the last 1/4 - 1/8 or so that sediment may be stiirred up by the movement of the fuel but I suspect that most people will be stirring sediment with a lot more fuel in their tanks than 1/4 tank just by the act of cornering, acceleratring, breaking etc.

In short, as far as I am concerned, that is an old wives tale.

Chris