Petrol Pump On A Diesel

Les Henson

I'm putting the TD engine in catflapII today and as a means of keeping an eye on things, I was wondering if it's ok to fit the glass filter bowl type lift pump to this engine instead of the standard item. This way any air leaks in the system from the tank to the pump would be easy to detect. Does anyone know if the pump will fit the 90 2.5TD engine? I recall in the past someone posting that a petrol lift pump is weaker than a diesel one? I can't see that that's right, but I don't have my parts book to reference part numbers. I'm also going to start fabricating the exhaust and have bought 4m of 60mm pipe. I was going to do a straight through system, but I'm not too sure about noise levels at higher revs, have any of you got this exhaust on your motor and what route did you take please?

Thanks.

Les. :)

petrol pumps are a lower pressure, i know u can miss out that pump all together and it will till run fine though.

if u want to see wots going on (air leaks etc) fit a clear pipe from filter to dis pump ;)

as for exhaust, theres no real need for boxes on a turbo motor, they're not /too/ noisy :rolleyes:

Les

I had a straight through system on my Defender 200Tdi for a while. It sounded fab at low revs/throttle but when I had my foot down it got rather louder and, for my taste, too much like a chaved-up Ford Escrote in both volume and sound. Try it out, you can always find a scrap box in ATS's skip if you find it is too loud.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

Les, on my 300Tdi 90, i had a 3" stainless straight through pipe on it, and when i had it SVA tested, they measured the noise at 99.7db (the limit is/was 101db!)

After a while though, i ditched that system and fitted a V8 sports silencer onto the back as after long drives to wales i would get headaches!