d2 retro fitting diff lock

Alan3hg

If you get underneath with a spanner you can engage the difflock, by the electronics then turn off the traction control. You can get over this by doing the engaging with the ignition off, but to be honest it's a PITA!

The Ashcroft kit engages the diff lock while leaving the traction control active, probably worth the £245 because it's as close to having mechanical lockers as you'll get without spend a lot more money.

Edit to say that cheaper ashcroft kit doesn't do anything with the electronics, so it's not really an advantage :blink:

I read about a guy using a socket, extension bar, and nuckle arangement up through the centre console giving hime a mechanical link. All tack welded together obviously. I'm sure a google search would find it, or now the idea is there you could work it out.

Think yourself lucky, I don't have the internals so it would cost me quite a bit more should I choose to fit the CDL :rolleyes:

i have fitted tdi linkage to my td5 very easy and works well the hard bit is finding the bits to do it i had a 300tdi gearbox and transfer box (was going to convert them to fit my 90 but still only payed £130) so took the lincage off them but you will need the rubber cover off a tdi to go on the transmission tunnel

Has anybody doing this mod found an issue with the Traction Control. I was always under the impression that the diff lock engaged sender turned off the TC (i.e engage and diff lodk and TC turns off). I was told that if you engaged the diff lock with the ignition off then started the car the TC remained on - which is what I've done when I've been underneath with the spanner.

Is this correct about TC? Does it turn off with the diff lock or not?

Has anybody doing this mod found an issue with the Traction Control. I was always under the impression that the diff lock engaged sender turned off the TC (i.e engage and diff lodk and TC turns off). I was told that if you engaged the diff lock with the ignition off then started the car the TC remained on - which is what I've done when I've been underneath with the spanner.

Is this correct about TC? Does it turn off with the diff lock or not?

My belief is that you do need to do some work to sort the TC and Difflock area (I have been thinking about doing this as well):

From Ashcroft: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_17.html#pa2

1) Disconnect the battery. Unscrew the four hex screws in the glove box hinges. Reach round the side of the glove box with each hand and pull the closing mechanism upwards. Slide the glove box out

2) Pull out the 3 push-studs on the black cardboard panel underneath the glovebox, and undo the screw stud at the back. Remove the panel.

3) Near the outer side of the gap behind the glove box, you will see 2 or 3 ECUs, depending on whether you have ACE, I think. The SLABS ECU is the centre of the three, or the outside of the two. It has 5 black connector blocks underneath. Remove the centre block of the five from underneath the ECU.

4) Look for the black & blue wire running to pin 9 of the connector block, which is the central pin on the lower row, i.e. the row furthest from the retaining clips. At this point, make sure you have the right connector, and the right pin!

5) Cut this black & blue wire & tape off the ends. (Give enough space to solder it back together if you find out you have cut the wrong one...) Reconnect the connector. Replace the panel and the glovebox. Reconnect the battery.

Please note :

This is not needed for 2003 on (facelift) models as the ECU has been reprogrammed to take care of NOT disabling traction control/ABS when CDL in engaged, when ignition is switched on.

To test: engage the CDL and start the car up. The CDL light should be lit, but the ABS/TC lights should not be lit up. This is correct - it means that the SLABS ECU is not disabling ABS/TC when you start the car up with the diff lock engaged

this link shows how to fit the cable (ashcroft) type kit and the wiring mods for both kits http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

this shows how to fit the tdi kit http://www.discovery2.co.uk/D1_to_D2_cdl.html but if yo fit the high low selector of a tdi box no linkage mods are needed and fit a tdi rubber cover to the transmission tunnel for better sound proofing