Help please... Range Rover bobtail or bob pickup ??

itsme

Hi there. I have a G reg V8 Range Rover which I've done bits to (ie. Wheels, tyres, sliders, lift kit) and been off roading in that for like a year now. Had a few others before but I want a project. I want to make it into a bobtail pick up, but then I was also thinking of just bobtailing it!

I was wondering if any one has done either before and what it was like. Pictures would be very very useful.

Open to all ideas.

Many thanks

Chris

Edited by V8 Freak
Added grammer, punctuation etc. to make it easier for all to read.

Hi there. I have a G reg V8 Range Rover which I've done bits to (ie. Wheels, tyres, sliders, lift kit) and been off roading in that for like a year now. Had a few others before but I want a project. I want to make it into a bobtail pick up, but then I was also thinking of just bobtailing it!

I was wondering if any one has done either before and what it was like. Pictures would be very very useful.

Open to all ideas.

Many thanks

Chris

You will see a bobtail pickup in this video of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/p76rangie#p/u/5/gpORajRIbgI

Personally - although bobtails with full body look good, they just remind me of a big Lada Niva, so IMHO the pickup is the way to go :)

I see that you are a newish member - welcome to The Forum! :) And might I suggest (if it's going to be a road-going car) that you check out various SVA threads on here before you start chopping? My initial (very long-term) plan was a bobbed pickup, but it has morphed into a full-length pickup after reading of the difficulties some people experienced with the authorities...

I think as far as looks go they are both nice as long as they are done well ( no gaffa tape and less than 8000 rivets )but really it depends on what you want it for obviously if you want to take more than one other person with you a pick-up is rather useless.

work wise i wouldnt have thought there is much difference as they involve different changes, which i expect offset each other.

either way it will take some time.

As said above its always worth a few phone calls before you start a project to see what your allowed to do and what is asked of to keep legal.

good luck which ever way you go

• 2 weeks later...

hey thank you for all the replys.

I am planning on starting it next week monday the 8th. I think I am going to do a pick up. If any body has work pics bobed or pickuped would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Chris, I also know of people who have done it before and you don't need an SVA test !

So many different people said you do but they also have it in writting that you don't, its only if you shorten the wheel base, which I am not.

Edited by V8 Freak
Edited to remove text speak, add grammar and punctuation - Hopefully easier now for others to read.

Remember, you still are legally bound to inform the DVLA of any changes to the vehicle, then *THEY* will decide if it needs an SVA IVA or not, and is likely in other people's experiences to vary upon testing station :)

hey thank you for all the replys.

I am planning on starting it next week monday the 8th. I think I am going to do a pick up. If any body has work pics bobed or pickuped would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Chris, I also know of people who have done it before and you don't need an SVA test !

So many different people said you do but they also have it in writting that you don't, its only if you shorten the wheel base, which I am not.

If you go to this thread you will see photos of my Rangie pickup http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=52372