Speakers how and where to fit them ??

Hi all

I am using my 90 more and more for daily driving so decided i need to put a basic radio / speaker set up in her.

Radio and surround fitted so now i just have to get some speakers

I am only going to fit a couple of small 5 or 6 inch ones in the front of the cab i dont want to fit them in the doors !!!

Just one where and how people have fitted there ??

Any help advice or pics would be gratfully recieved

Many thanks Chris

You can get speaker housings that fit in the panels either side of the rear door from "Defendoor". I put a second pair in there, you just have to run the wires back there. The original place, as already mentioned is under the dash panel by your knees and the holes should already be there. Just check anyone else's 90 to see where they are and if necessary where to cut yours.

Malcolm

The under-dash location is prone to knocks and dents. In the head-lining is ok, but not great if you like to hear music from more than one speaker.

I've got speakers mounted behind the bench seats, they work pretty well. As mentioned, the other alternative is above the rear corner windows.

You can fit a good system for relatively cheap.

I put 5 inch speakers in the under dash, it is prone to knocks but not really, most speakers come with a metal covering anyway and it is a real easy spot to fit,

I put tweaters in the headlining as these then give you the high little bits and you can tun the wires down the channel by the windshield.

Then put 6 inch in the top corners of the back load area, used spacers from halfords so they fitted. (but you do have to cut the rear trim a bit) reason for this is the defendoor area is even more prone to getting banged about since they are going in the load area right??? Then lacking any base I put in a subwoofer under the centre cubby box, you can get this and it fits, it's got a built in amp.

So in all I spent 500 over a year, but now you can feel the base over the gearbox, and hear the music really well.

I did this:

DSC00059.jpg

I essentially built two identical boxes out of 9mm exterior ply and mounted two 13mm speakers in them. The wires run up the side of the windscreen and then run down the inside of the trim just behind the seatbelt mounts.

speaker.jpg

works a treat and get really good quality sound, I can even hear them at 70 on the motorway :D

i did mine incredibly cheaply - was going to be quite fancy but money issues cropped up so i had to use what i had.

Started off with a nice headunit that i had in my other car and added some FLI speakers in the dash pods, then some 6" FLI speakers mounted on cradles above the rear doors. Finally was going to mount a nice bass tube and amp behind the centre bulkhead. Thats where the money ran out, so i ended up using some old 500w panasonic speakers i had from an old stereo (handily they were 12v 4ohm) and a 500w amp i got from ebay (wrongly listed) for £12 :lol:

amp will get put under the cubby box now i know it all works and the speakers will get fitted properly at some point too with a nice bit of carpet covered ply to box it all in with a strong metal mesh front screen to protect the speakers = maybe when i find a round-tuit.

Speakers are quite good, each have a large bass speaker in its enclosure with a mid and tweeter on the front and the amp has a low and high bypass feature (set on high) so i get amplification across the whole audio spectrum instead of just bass.

loud?

i can make the whole car shake before i get any bass clipping or distortion. :lol::P:D Metallica has never sounded so good.

post-2947-126588216055_thumb.jpg

The previous owner of mine placed the speakers in the headlining and despite many plans for improvements i'm living with it. Unfortunately this puts a speaker directly above your noodle when driving so yeah, not brilliant but bearable if you jiggle with the balance settings. I keep mine biased to the passenger side and it works well. (Not brilliant for the passenger mind you - but 90% of the time i'm the sole occupant so it's not really an issue.)

In my 110, I have a set in the lower dash panel, and a set bolted on to the headlining at the back.

The stereo is just a cheap unit and I get a reasonable sound. I think you're going to need some serious amounts of sound proofing if yolu want hi-fi!

In my series II, I have had a pair of speakers fitted in the rear lights panel they worked reasonably well, but I decided to remove them, as I took the roof off and put a truck cab roof on instead.

I believe you can get a set of these light cover speaker mounts from MUD or some one similar.