Hard Top Insurance

Disty

Hi Guys,

I bought a Hard Top, thinking I could just change my normal car insurance to cover the vehicle. When I gave the reg no. they said that they were unable to ensure commercial vehicles, so I had to fork out for seperate commercial insurance, which is more expensive, and crappy! :(

My question is, what makes this vehicle commercial? On my new V5 it only says "PLG" which is what my normal cars V5 states.

I plan to put CSW sides on at the back at some point, but presumably that has little to do with it in reality?

Has anybody got a HT insured normally? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

I think NFU are good too; we have just had a claim with them, and apart from it taking a while to get an assessor there (but the weather has been bad and there have been lots of accidents) they have been really excellent - the people have been really good to deal with. A work colleague has just had a claim against an insurer operated by a well known large supermarket after hitting a dog on the motorway, and has had all sorts of problems. It's been a big contrast.

Nigel

This is crazy prices! I'm over £1k 3rd party with some random company called Gladiator! To be fair my last landy was stolen so I lost my no claims and I'm only 22.. Time to get a quote with NFU and cancel both my other insurers!

Thanks guys

I find insurance on hard tops/commercials cheaper (especially with NFU) than with the 'car' variants!

Again recommend NFU (although you'll need someone in your family to be insured with them already if you're under 25 and not already insured with them)...

If your logbook states PLG (Private Light Goods) you should be able to get car insurance on it.

If your logbook states LGV (Light Goods Vehicle) you need to get van insruance on it.

Hi Guys,

I bought a Hard Top, thinking I could just change my normal car insurance to cover the vehicle. When I gave the reg no. they said that they were unable to ensure commercial vehicles, so I had to fork out for seperate commercial insurance, which is more expensive, and crappy! :(

My question is, what makes this vehicle commercial? On my new V5 it only says "PLG" which is what my normal cars V5 states.

I plan to put CSW sides on at the back at some point, but presumably that has little to do with it in reality?

Has anybody got a HT insured normally? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

As all of the above, I have a PLG hardtop (Special vehicle, ex environment agency) insured via NFU, about £250ish Fully comp.

Be careful with other insurers like Adrian Flux, they told me I was insured for all my mods, but when I came to renew it turns out I wasnt... :( Hmmmm....

I just printed out a list of Mods for NFU, they had no problems at all :) And Im covered for green laning!

Highly recommended...

This is crazy prices! I'm over £1k 3rd party with some random company called Gladiator! To be fair my last landy was stolen so I lost my no claims and I'm only 22.. Time to get a quote with NFU and cancel both my other insurers!

Thanks guys

I started the NFU comments and I can only support again what everybody else has said. I have a 110 Defender (with a few modifications) a Peugeot 405 and an LDV LWB Hi-Top with them, all at very good prices and as the last poster said, they have an incredibly low % on the monthly payments, it's daft not to take advantge of it.

Cheers

Peter

I would gladly take all the advice and go with NFU- however none of my family are (or can be!) insured with them, so I guess that's out of the picture? I don't see my previous insurers problem with it being a "van" when it's clearly PLG!! Stupid people!

I had an issue insuring my 90 van - I had it with one company (Marks & Spencer) for 18 months until I rang to change a driver and then they decided it was a commercial and said they couldn't insure it. After a bit of jumping up and down on my part they agreed to refund the full year's insurance to me but God knows what would have happened if I'd have had a prang. I'm now with Adrian Flux and they were fine and it's covered for towing and greenlaning. They did want an immobiliser fitted and accepted a secret switch.

I've just sold my TD5 110 station Wagon which was insured Fully comp for less than £350 a year and have now bought a TD5 110 Double Cab,I rang my insurance whilst in the showroom collecting the 110DC to simply swap my insurance to the new registration, they put the new reg. in thier computer and told me they couldn't swap my insurance as my new vehicle is a commercial and they would have to therefore cancel my old policy and issue a new one at a cost of £762. I tried to explain that it was the same type of vehicle, same chassis, engine, gearbox, brakes & I am the same driver as I was 5 minuits ago when I was driving a 110SW? NO JOY! :angry: A phone call to NFU needed I think!

I would be very careful, my 110 was original van sides insured with normal car insurance average cost £300 - £550 year in year out, changed the sides to ones from e-blag with windows in, tried for insurance with NFU shockingly quoted £1500 as it had been modified amd they wanted sign off from VSA as concern over crash protection if it was rolled. Got some advice from this forum and went with Lancaster average for last 2 years has been £130 per year - bargain, although they have sent me my renewal notice this year to say that they will no longer be insuring Defenders as the third party costs are too high and they are not willing to provide cover.

So it back to 'GoCompare' for me as NFU are still quoting high for 'modification' that I have previously informed them about !!!