Terrain Response

Cooper1569

I expect this question might have been asked before, so sorry it it has.

Anyway, i have been hooked on getting a Freelander 2 ever since i went on a LR Experience day last year.

i am seriously considering changing my Audi A3 for a new Black Special Edition Freelander 2.

But, it doesn't have Terrain Response.

Honestly i dont expect to do much off road. it would be great to tow my caravan, drive on the moors when it snows, etc.

So is having Terrain Response really necessary?

All the posts i've read on here about driving say "what you should have done first is turn your Terrain Response on" every time a user says he got in a problem.

This just seems like a cop out to me, as its all about how you drive isnt it. And not let the computer sort it out ?

I think im right in saying that older Freelanders didnt have it and they were good off road weren't they ? After all it is still a Landrover !

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Hi

I have driven both types of Freelander 2 (with/without terrain response) though not off road in anger. As far as I know, the terrain response simply modifies throttle response etc to suit different conditions, to optimise traction - what you would do yourself with a careful right foot really.

I guess it depends where you'll be using it. Lots of off road work might mean that you'd miss it, but my Freelander 1 doesn't have it and I've never felt that I need it. To be perfectly honest I would say that tyre choice has a lot more to do with it, but I'm no expert...

Cheers,

Matt

So is having Terrain Response really necessary?

Hi Nick,

The terrain response controls a number of the vehicles ECU's, off the top of my head:- Traction control sensitivity, HDC/ABS sensitivity, DSC sensitivity, throttle response/sensitivity, rear diff pre-load, auto gearbox (shift speed and gear used for pull away).

Since the "Black" is a manual only the gearbox side of things is down to the driver.

The difference in ultimate capibilty I could not tell you, but imagine is minimal in experienced hands; however the terrain response is designed to flatter someone with little driving experience in non tarmac situations. So the differnce is bigger with an inexperiened driver.

Mark.

Hi,

I am attaching a file describing the Terrain Response (TR) functions for all LR models, for your info.

You will see that, indeed, in Discovery it controls more (e.g. vehicle's height), but even in Freelander 2 (where it's less complex) it is still doing more than any driver could do: it controls the coupling.

In FL1 you could not do it, it's the VCU there.

I did not have enough time to test the TR thoroughly, but I have to tell you that last week I have entered in deep snow (about 60cm) and - as it was formed by several layers - I had difficulties to come out of the snow.

Then I moved the TR on "Sand" and... it was like a little miracle: the car easily came out of the snow! It was like a completely different car! 3.pdf

As a former owner of LR1 and some experience in "light offroad" (I often go fishing; when it rains it is quite challenging) I would say that, if you never go off road, you will not need the TR. But, if you expect to drive in heavy snow or want to go in mud areas, you will see the difference...

Viorel

• 10 years later...

TR can make a substantial difference on road as well as off, depending on the conditions. It is a great misconception to think it's just for off-road use. If you really wish to understand the capabilities and benefits of TR, book a Land Rover Experience session - you will be correctly informed by highly experienced and knowledgeable drivers.

I've had a non-TR Freelander 1 and one with the ABS/TC/HDC and I'd take the one WITH it any day of the week.

TR does stuff that you just can't do any other way no matter how skilled a driving god you are, and if I had to get a caravan out of a muddy field or drive in snow/ice I'd want it on my side.

I've got a proper truck with beam axles and lockers all round and I'd still sooner take my FL1 with HDC down a slippery slope than anything "dumb".