Help thread. Questions when my 110 is in bits.

Just a note to neill.birdThe Haynes Workshop Manual is ok but for £15 you are better off with the Haynes Restoration Manual which has a step by step illustrated section with full text and much better pictures.It is a lot clearer to follow.

I find the genuine parts book is the best guide, combined with the freely downloadable RAVE manuals. The parts book shows you how everything goes together, the RAVE book will give any special numbers / instructions you may need.

So it decided to snow quite a bit last night so my undo all the bolts session is cancelled.

Question for today is how difficult is it to remove the roof of a CSW?

• Am i corrct in thinking that its just undoing all the bolts?
  • Are there any seals that need replcaing and if so where?
  • Do i need some seam sealent for replcaing it?
  • How much does it weigh?

I want to take it off so i can bond carpet (or something)to the underside to stop the condensation.

When i'm doing Hub end float measurements i'm measuring the end float from the Hub nut to where? Wheres the reference point for the other end of the dial gauge?

I'm thining if buying a magnetic guage as its quite cheap so the reference surface need to be magnetic and not aluminuim. what surface should i use the manual is a bit none specific.

So it decided to snow quite a bit last night so my undo all the bolts session is cancelled.

Question for today is how difficult is it to remove the roof of a CSW?

• Am i corrct in thinking that its just undoing all the bolts?
  • Are there any seals that need replcaing and if so where?
  • Do i need some seam sealent for replcaing it?
  • How much does it weigh?

I want to take it off so i can bond carpet (or something)to the underside to stop the condensation.

seals all round where roof side panels meet, you'll need a least 3 minimum to lift the roof off, don't know how much it wieghs.

When i'm doing Hub end float measurements i'm measuring the end float from the Hub nut to where? Wheres the reference point for the other end of the dial gauge?

I'm thining if buying a magnetic guage as its quite cheap so the reference surface need to be magnetic and not aluminuim. what surface should i use the manual is a bit none specific.

The hub itself, with the probe on the hub nut or the rim of the stub axle.

Thanks both for your answers.

Western, is this the stuff? Suppose i need a roll of each then.

STC3291

STC3289

I get the feeling theres quite a few other bits that might be needed. I was looking at these also.

334615 which are now DDL500011

Will i need the windsreen top seals also?

This might be a bigger job than i thought :o

Thanks both for your answers.

Western, is this the stuff? Suppose i need a roll of each then.

STC3291

STC3289

I get the feeling theres quite a few other bits that might be needed. I was looking at these also.

334615 which are now DDL500011

Will i need the windsreen top seals also?

This might be a bigger job than i thought :o

the 25m strip seal would do, but it's meant for a 90.

110 has these

MXC3676 RH upper

MXC3677 LH upper

MXC3684 RH upper Front

MXC3685 LH upper Front

the 334615 fits on top of the B post [door pillar]

the screen seals are MTC994 & MTC6568, one fits in a track on the roof, the other is self adhesive to top of front screen frame.if the existing area in good order I'd probably leave them in place.

hth

thanks. once i know how to get the dam thing off i'll get all the bits and follow your advice. At the very least this will point me at the correct parts as its certainly not a 90. Strange how the disk thinks those parts are OK. oh well....Cheers!

to remove the roof.

remove interior mirrior & mounting & the sun visors & screen pillar trims

remove the trim panels around rear windows & the trim above 2nd row doors inc the 4 grab handles

remove the 3 part headliner & trim above rear door & extract from vehicle [you'll love that bit]

undo & remove the bolts/nuts around the inner gutter & 5 in the screen frame to roof joint.

with at least 3 or 4 assistants lift the roof from the vehicle & stow in a safe dry place & cover the vehicle to keep the weather out/store in garage/workshop

I think that's all IIRC.

Right almost all the trim is out. Wasn't very careful but its likely that most of it is going in the bin. A few swear words were used :D . Will post some photos. Its now uniformally raining condensation front to back and the inside roof gutter is full of water at the rear (my drive has slight slope).

Now i just need to get ready for the removal,,, and get some help.

Thanks Western.

All the parts arrived today. I say all,,as there's a back order and some little stuff missing. Considering its was a big order they've done as well as i expected. Well done Brit-Car.

(missing an two intetnal Hub seals and two lock washers so no biggy)

Now i've just got to decide which order to do stuff. Once i remove a corner/swivel i can hardly drive to the speicalist and ask for help. So i'll be relying on you helpful lot. :rolleyes:

thanks. Les. Eventually got them indone. They were very tight. :blink:

Got thread lock. Now know why the ball was knackered. Whoever did them last time left a individual bearing roller in from the old swivel pin bearing. It was just rattiling round in there. The bottom bearing is cracked and damaged. I'll post a photo later!

Back to start putting it all together. This should be fun. I'm good at taking things apart. Putting them back togeather isn't my strong point. :lol:

so the question is should i change my wheel bearings?

How hard is it to get the runners out of the hub?

Do i just hit them?

Putting i the new ones might be more challenging. How do i get em in without wrecking them?

I've done one swivel, pins and bearings and am just putting it back together. 7 hours for one and its not back together yet. Next one should be quicker.

so the question is should i change my wheel bearings?

What condition are they in? there's no point changing them for the hell of it. On the other hand, if they're of unknown condition, you can eliminate the uncertainty and change them.

Drift the old races out with a suitable long punch. Drift the new ones in, you can use an old race to protect the new one. slit it through so it's easy to remove.

It's not a hard job, once the hubs are off it only takes ten minutes or so.

Super thanks Luke. Thats just what i needed.

Also saw Whites sliced race in the tech archive so i made two to bash in the new one. Used a dremmel to slice them. Took me ten mins like you said.

Thankyou :)

as for the condition i reccon they were good but now they're brand new!