RRC Top Tailgate

Lenny

Hello all,

Recently fitted a new upper tailgate - needs to move leftward by 1/3 inch as the side-gaps between rear-quarters are unequal and left side-lock only just catching on its striker..

My question is whether this is possible and do the hinges have a horizontal movement on an elongated hole?

I want to be certain before removing headlining (bolts hidden behind this)

Thanks very much.

Mine is a 1990.

IIRC the hinge to tailgate is not adjustable, the hinge to body has vertical only, and the strikers can go all over (but be careful not to drop the nuts on these).

What I did was loosely position everything except the lower tailgate which was in it's original position, then I shut it all up and tightened the hinge screws and nuts when it looked to be reasonably positioned, then finally I set the strikers so that they latched and released ok. Mine is still about 3mm off laterally but that's ok by me...

OK. will take that into account.

I had noticed prior to fitting, that paint had been rubbed from the side catch(taken off old tailgate). Attrition through contact with vinyl. So it's not the new tailgate.

Also the lower tailgate is slightly biased to the right. Something strange going on here.

I wonder if the rear cross section is twisted from a rear smash.

More likely just Land Rover build tolerances dry.giflaugh.gif

I read somewhere that there is a +5mm tolerance on the distance between the chassis legs unsure.gif and certainly when I had the body lifted a couple of inches off the chassis recently it was obvious that none of the mounts lined up properly...