TD5 Oil leak!

Jason2

Got a baffling oil leak on the TD5 to the left of the engine under the inlet manifold,sort of all over the pipes that go to the oil cooler,in places even looks like it's a spray leak (little drops further back)it's not the head gasket,rocker gasket or the round cam joint at the front looked every where??? power washed it all down again for the second time yesterday but still can't find the bl**dy thing??

Any ideas???

Cheers

Jason

Hi,

Try the canister oil filter.

They are supposed to last 36,000 miles but my mate (at a main stealers) reckons to change them at 24,000 as they have been known to split around the folded bottom seam and spill oil out. (Can also be caused by overtightening when fitted apparently).

Regards

Scrumps

Hi,

Try the canister oil filter.

They are supposed to last 36,000 miles but my mate (at a main stealers) reckons to change them at 24,000 as they have been known to split around the folded bottom seam and spill oil out. (Can also be caused by overtightening when fitted apparently).

Regards

Scrumps

Hi

The canister oil filter (for the price of it I change every oil change) is on the right under the turbo :rolleyes: My leak is on the left under the inlet manifold!

Hi

The canister oil filter (for the price of it I change every oil change) is on the right under the turbo :rolleyes: My leak is on the left under the inlet manifold!

Sorry Jason,

I was using the standard convention of "left when sat in the vehicle looking forward i.e. nearside (in UK & Japan)"

NOT left as in "looking at it with the bonnet up".

Scrumps

• 1 year later...

Hey Jason,

I have this exact same problem - it keeps filling my conduit carrying the electric cables to the alternator up with oil.

Looking at strong stuffs diagram I didn't know there was bits of the oil cooler tucked under the back end of the inlet manifold. Guess I'd need to take the manifold off to see properly.

Did you ,manage to solve it?

Cheers.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Underneath the inlet manifold, between the block and the fuel cooler, is the stub end of the oil cooler that the water pipe fits on, could it be a leak off this?coolant.jpgThat diagram shows a pre EU3 layout (which mine is)

I've just seen this thread whilst looking through another overheating thread. The diagram is really useful. Just one addition though, to avoid confusion, it's worth noting that not all engines had the pipe that runs round the back of the engine to the oil cooler, flow within the block was deemed sufficient. On those where it is not present, the rad and the oil cooler are simply blanked at the relevant port.

Edit - it looks like diagram A (cut off of above) is what I am talking about.

I just stripped my head and found my inlet manifold to be, well... loose. I never would have noticed, despite the oil literally coming from every inlet port, but I went to remove it and found most of the bolts not quite torqued.

The other possibility is a pinhole leak that only manifests under load, so that you'd never see it even with the engine idling. But I can't think of any pipe work carrying oil on that side of the engine. Are you 100% sure it's not diesel? Maybe mixed with dirt making it black? It would open up a number of potential sources if it were diesel.

The pipe coming round the back from the oil cooler carries coolant, not oil, so that couldn't be it. If there was oil in that, you'd also see it in your expansion tank.

Maybe could you take a picture and we could have a look?