300tdi wont start

alfiec

Hi,

I recently bought a 1995 300Tdi which started first turn of the key for a couple of weeks. I left it standing for just over a week and when I came to start it it just kept turning over. I let it turn over for a couple of seconds before turning the key back and tring again, each time waiting for the heater plug light on the dash to go out. On the odd occasion it fired but only for a split second. I tried priming the lift pump for 10/20 seconds a couple of times with no effect. I connected a battery booster from my local farmer which increased the rate of turnover but with no sign of it firing up. I cant understand what could have changed by just leaving it standing for a week. Any help would be really appreciated, esecially with the bad weather back!

I would check the fuel solenoid first, as above.

If it hasn't got 12v on it, make up a test lead so you can put 12v on it direct and try starting it again.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response. I will try tonight and report back.

It's a problem with fuel supply. If the injection pump solenoid clicks when you give it 12V, then it's a problem with the pipework or filter - look for any loose unions and splits that would allow air in (not just fuel out; a tiny leak in the system allows the air in which results in the fuel draining back to the fuel tank).

Indeed but mine spun over till the battery was flat

I replaced the glowplugs and it started straight away and I did not even recharge the battery

it just sat there while I went to get the glowplugs.

testing them is free so 20mins will not be wasted.

remove connect the body of the plug to the negative side of the battery

connect the tip where the wire was to the positive using jump leads

if the tip does not glow red in 5-8secs then it is dud!

do not allow them to glow needlessly and of course don't touch the tip!

The lift pump is cam operated, and if the cam is pushing on the inner end of the pump's arm, then you won't be able to prime the pump as the compression is already on the mechanism and the diaphagm is held in the "exhale" position. Rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees and try the pump lever again - if you still get no resistance, turn the crank another 180 degrees. Once you have turned the crankshaft all the way round twice, you will have turned the cam shaft through 360 degrees - if you have not had the pump lever working at any point then the pump has failed.

When you prime the pump, you should get bubbly fuel at first, but you should eventually get clear, bubble-free fuel from the filter's bleed. It may take a few dozen strokes to prime if the tank's line has drained back fully. If you continue to get bubbles, the pump is sucking in air on its "inhalation" stroke. This will be a fault in the line from the tank to the lift pump, a rust pin hole in the fuel tank's pick-up pipe or a pin hole in the lift pump's diaphragm (which should also result in diesel contamination of the sump oil, so check that too). The final possibility is a blockage in the fuel system, including the gauze strainer at the bottom of the tank's pick-up.

It's not your glow plugs, and unless you have replaced the timing belt or injection pump, it's unlikely to be timing (though it's worth ocassionally checking the timing at service intervals).

Going back to you saying you have not had the vehicle long, Did you buy it before all the cold weather?

Did the previous owner make ant mention of running it on Veg oil? Does the exhaust smell like a chip shop?

If it was run on poor WVO that could be your answer.

Just an outside the box thought.

I tried the solenoid with a test lead and clicks OK.

And you turned it over with your test lead on the solenoid, and it didn't fire up?

Before you get the spanners out, take a look at the fuel filter, and change it for a fresh one.

If it's a new vehicle to you, then it's worth putting a new filter on it anyway, they're cheap, and then you'll know how old it is.

Thanks for all the advice. I have finally managed to get some time to try a few things.

1. Two of the glow plugs had failed so I replaced all four for good measure.

2. Tried the fuel lift pump with the bleed screw loose on the filter with no sign of any air/bubbles/fuel. even after rotating the crank 180deg at a time.

3. Removed the lift pump and attached a pipe to the inlet and put the other end in a cup of fuel to see if I primed it away from the vehicle it would suck fuel up - no luck.

4. Ordered a new lift pump today.

Any other suggestions or have a missed something really obvious?

Thanks

Whilst you wait for a new lift pump, fill the filter up with fuel, or rig a small container to the filter inlet, (make sure it sits higher than the lift pump), and see if it'll start like that.

When my lift pump failed, I successfully drove home with a temporary fuel tank on the wing, topping it up every time it ran out.