Tank Guard

Tonk

been thinkin about a fuel tank guard on my series.

its alot easier to fit one to a 90, but if i've gotta make one anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just make a new tank from say 6mm or 8mm thick m/s and bolt it to the same mounts?

hmmmm or maybe 10mm ali :)

There was ali chequerplate tank at Billing - looked quite whizzy :ph34r:

If you do go guard, you have to ensure stones cannot get between the tank and the guard, or they will grind holes in the bottom of the tank.

My CT Disco had a big foam thingy between the tank and the guard.

i had the same idea of bolting it to the rocksliders, i ended up makin mine from round tube though and spaced them away from the body so i guess that idea is out the window now.

i think a thicker tank is the way i'm goin to go.

i had the same idea of bolting it to the rocksliders, i ended up makin mine from round tube though and spaced them away from the body so i guess that idea is out the window now.

Yeah, I'd do that. Its a much more elegant soultion than a gaurd. Why use chequer plate rather than smooth plate? That'll slide better over things and if you can see it you'll have got it seriously wrong ;)

Is this one with 2 GSCEs, grade E or lower?

Have a think of where it needs to be strengthend, namely the base since I do not see mcuh point in trengthening the top and possibly the sides? if wieght and slightly reduced capacity do not worry you, then ignore this.

If I were to do this, which I'm not, I'd make a shallower tank so it does not go below the level of the outriggers, then it would be a simple flat plate that can be fixed to the outrigger, downsdie it loses about 1/4 capacity :( .... but more clearance = more out of the way of jagged stuff = less likely to get damaged = less protection?

u'll actually find that a series tank is basically flush with bottom of front outrigger anyway. ;)

i'm going to re use the top of a tank and remake the base and lower sides in thicker plate cos as u say the top doesn't need to be strengthened.

i'm also goin to lose about 2" off the base (i run a diesel :D ). and also goin to move the drain plug to the back of the tank rather than underneath cos its only a matter of time before that gets caught up on summat

I have seen the foam pads between tank & guards as well.

I expect you could achive the same result using expanding foam. I would suggest a sheet of cling film or plastic on the tank before putting the foam in so that you can remove the guard easily in the future and also to reduce corrosion as the foam does tend to act like a sponge. I don't know how easy it would be to seal all the edges of the foam once in place to avoid that.

They used to do the same thing with racing buckets to get a custom fit, spray foam all over the seat, cover in cling film and then sit in it. A weird sensation I'll tell you.

If you do go guard, you have to ensure stones cannot get between the tank and the guard, or they will grind holes in the bottom of the tank.

That sort of thing is a problem here with a lot of use on gravel roads, and especially with plastic fuel tanks like the Discoverys have! I have not decided what I am going to do on the 90 when my tank guard arrives next month, but I'll have to do something to prevent it as the newer 90 tanks are plastic too. Will probably have a look and see how it fits, I don't like the idea of foam due to the fact it will hold water in.

The other thing LR never thought of is stones in bluddy cat heat shields :angry: my Discovery gets lots of little stones building up in the heat shields around the cats and they make a hell of a racket jingling away inside the tinny heatshield, if I wanted my Discovery to sound like a stone crusher I'd have bought a Td5 :lol::ph34r: quick blast of compressed air gets rid of them but I keep having to do it.