auxillary heaters

Dalai Lama

Hi

I recall a few years ago seeing auxillary heaters for sale in one of the magazines. The heaters plumber in to the existing water pipes and you could fit the system in the rear of the cabin.

I have a 300 tdi 110 defender and can never get enough heat out of the heater.

Does any one know where these are available

Thanks

Ashley

Those are supplemental heaters, not aux heaters. An aux heater is just another heater box in a package you install somewhere else, also called bus heaters sometimes.

I'm likely just going to dismantle the RHD heater box I pulled out and fabricate a new housing for the core and fan and stick some hydraulic 'quick disconnects' in the back so I can hang it from the roof during the winter if needed etc.

Not that fitting a supplemental heater is a bad idea, certainly going to do a set of them since I expect to sleep in the back in -30C :)

Got my D1LC eberspacher air heater from these guys:

http://www.4x4play.net/

150 inc postage. I havent tested it yet and got it a couple of months ago, cos i have been really busy at work. Its a bit gutting really as i reckon i'll have it fitted ready for the summer!! :huh:

The military spec vehicles had a radiator system that you could plumb in, or i beleive you really meant something like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/heater-kits-for-on-road-and-off-road-vehicles/p2002895.jcwx#

that plumbs into the coolant system. There are better looking ones around, but this was all i could find on a quick search.

Have a look at this eBay Shop - Aluminium Metalworking Supplies - Car Heater Units

They make a very neat Lightweight Heater Unit for £99 -

The SP1 lightweight heater is ideally suited to vehicles where lightweight and compactness are of the utmost importance without sacrificing heat output. The SP1 lightweight heater uses a powerful, space saving axial fan coupled with an efficient copper heater matrix to offer heating performance normally delivered by units twice its size! This heater is in a class of its own in terms of output for size, build quality and cost.

Applications:

1. Small vehicles:

The SP1 lightweight heater achieves the ideal balance of size, weight and heat output making it perfect for small vehicles, kit cars and classics.

2. Medium vehicles:

The heater is powerful enough to operate as a demister in larger vehicles, this makes it perfectly suited to the needs of race and rally enthusiasts who also require the lightest components.

3. Large vehicles:

The heater makes a good interior heat booster for large vehicles such as people carriers, motor-homes, van conversions, large off road vehicles etc. The vented front panels were specifically designed for this application which allow the unit to exhaust the heat directly into the cabin without the need for ducting.

What's Included?

You will receive one lightweight single fan heater box, one powerful 190cfm fan, one efficient copper heater matrix with 1/2" hose fittings, one heater lid of your choice, 6 outlets of your choice, one fuse holder with fuse and the relevant nuts and bolts to fit everything together. Examples of the options can be seen from the pictures of assembled heaters on this listing.

Plain Lid

Plain & Mountable Lid

Quad Outlet Lid

Vented Lid

Vented & Mountable Lid

44mm Outlet

51mm Outlet

Vented Outlet

Blanking plate for Outlets

Heater dimensions/specs:

Height: 170mm

Width: 190mm (inc heater hose outlets)

Depth: 110mm

Heat Output: Approx 3.5kw

Airflow: 190CFM / 322m3/h (measured in free air)

Weight: 1150grams

post-148-12672036657_thumb.jpg . post-148-126720366749_thumb.jpg . post-148-126720366911_thumb.jpg

post-148-126720367082_thumb.jpg . post-148-12672036724_thumb.jpg . post-148-126720367384_thumb.jpg

post-148-126720367582_thumb.jpg . post-148-126720367765_thumb.jpg . post-148-126720367967_thumb.jpg . post-148-126720366303_thumb.jpg

They also supply all the installation bits - mountings, ducting, hoses, outlets, etc...

Nice, I would consider using one of those. My plan was to build it into the passenger seat-box so that vents could be run to allow hot air to blow out the front and back of both seat boxes. This is important for me as I don't plan on putting footwell vents into the custom dash :) Well, not to mention we get -45C.

have a look in breakers. if they have any mitsubishi shoguns (i think they are maybe called monteros in your part of the world) in. they have an aux heater under the back seat, which is basically a metal basin with a heater matrix and fan in it which heats and recirculates the air in the car (plumbed into the existing cooling system). it would fit in a seatbox easily. i have one and a controller in the garage, which i had intended to fit in the middle of the seatbox beneath my cubby box. if i butcher the seatbox enough it should fit behind the transfer box. its been sitting in my garage for a while now as i've not had time to work on it and i'm thinking of moving over to the dark side. anyway, i've experienced those heaters in their original location and they're quite effective.

mine only cost £15 on ebay, but i would question a bit whether its maybe just worth fitting an eberspacher.

One of those 4-output ones from above in that location might just be an excellent idea. I've got at least this summer to think about it since I don't expect to have things back on the road for at least a few months (waiting for parts sucks, I envy you guys who can just get them down the road.. not to mention harass vendors like Safari Equip who fail to ship things and then ignore email in person.)

Got my D1LC eberspacher air heater from these guys:

http://www.4x4play.net/

150 inc postage. I havent tested it yet and got it a couple of months ago, cos i have been really busy at work. Its a bit gutting really as i reckon i'll have it fitted ready for the summer!! :huh:

I bought one from Terry and it has transformed the 110. I installed it under the rear seat. good VFM

The diesel fired ones will have a limited lifespan compared to the passive ones and running them will use it up, so it depends on how you want to approach things I guess, it will also depend on how well I can get things insulated, it's quite remarkable how quickly things get very cold at -45C. You have people in the UK who complain about the heater and it's not like it ever gets cold there. :)

Trouble is, when its that cold, the diesels just dont really seem to get hot enough to heat the cab with the heater supplied - on tickover, you can cool the matrix down and the engine by having the fan on full trying to warm the cab, so an additional heater matrix fed by the engine coolant probablly wont be sufficient, thus the eberspacher is probably a better bet. Also, the eberspacher can be run with the engine off, so you can heat up before you go in the mornings and also if you sleep in the truck when camping. They are serviceable, so lifespan shouldnt be a problem either.

Here in Norway, tractor supply houses have a decent selection of heater cores and complete auxilliary heaters.

If you fit an extra heater that draws it's air from inside the cabin, increased fogging of windows can occur. Consider use of external air. Another factor that is often overlooked is that warm, humid air should have a route to escape. Usually in cars this is through a one-way flap arrangment hidden in the back somewhere. If you get a lot of fogging, consider putting in an opening of some kind in the rear. If you crack a rear window (if you have sliding rear windows in your 110), you can see if the increased through ventilation helps to clear the mist off the windows before you take a saw to the bodywork.