Td5 water loss, not overheating though.

Hi All,

The only fault I find in low level in the header tank, it's never overheated, it just seems to lose the head of water. Can't see any external leaks so should I be thinking head gasket....?

cheers

Dave..

Is the oil emulsified?

I take it you're not overfilling the header tank (only half full). Might be the the plastic cap letting the pressure past. does the heater work ok (hot) make sure the heater is in on pos when filling up, to open valve and let air out. if headgasket has gone, in the morning when engine is cold, feel the hoses, if they are firm and hard, then the system is pressured, likely to be gasket, and when you take off the header tank cap it will PSSSST! If hoses are soft and no pssst, then prob not gasket (but not definate). was it a one off or constant loss. Stumpy

As stumpy says, also worth checking the pipes up to the header tank for a leak as well as the cap, it only takes a small steam leak to empty the header tank, get it warm be VERY carefull, put some welding gloves and safety glasses on and check the pipes by moving them. again be carefull if checking the cap.

The welding gloves bit is from experience, I got a very nasty burn from an overheating P38 hospital trip and weeks of burn treatment would not do that again.

As much as you probably don't want to hear this -

When the head gasket went on my 2002 Td5, the ONLY symptom I got was water loss. No oil emulsification (sp), no overheating, No Hydrocarbons in the water.

Its got worse until it eventually overheated very quickly, leading to me needing the head skimmed.

The garage said its common when the locating pins sheer.

My loss was due to the cap on the expansion tank. I changed the whole tank ( I think it was leaking cause everytime it weeps showing signs of the red liquid). Another interesting thing too was the hose. They were as soft as bananahuh.gif . Having been there I change the thermostat too. Now there is no leakage.. Worth a try thoughwink.gif

From the pic you can see the weeping tankunsure.gif

post-7610-126743581775_thumb.jpg

i had a leak in the heater matrix.

every morning i smell a faint smell coolant when i open the door and i wonder where it was coming from. until one day, i turned on the heater at full blast and the smell was very much saying, i'm leaking here.

so living on the equator, i bypassed the heater matrix.

• 3 years later...

On doing a search for head gasket I found my own posting, Feb 2010... So I have nursed it along for quite a while...! I did change the rad which had a slight leak, rad cap too, blew a heater hose a month or so ago, then top hose valve started leaking, hoses go solid as well.

It has just started to billow loads of white smoke on start up, heater goes cold, uses 1/2 a gallon of water on a 20x mile trip...

So I guess it's time to strip it down..

It's a 1998 Td5 10p engine, can I fit a 15p head, from a disco... or 15p head from a defender... or am I stuck with a 10p defender head...?

As I want as little off the road time as possible I would rather have all the parts ready to go without sending heads away for pressure testing / skimming etc..

Here a quick check list of parts required.

Cylinder head.

Top end head set.

Head bolts.

Oil.

Filters.

Coolant.

Anything else spring to mind...?

Cheers,

db.

Was having the same problem with my 300tdi, it turned out to be a crack in the plastic plug on the radiator. It was a pain to find this leak as it only happened on long journeys to start with after plenty heat had built up. The plug top eventually parted.

The 300tdi has two of these plugs so its worth a look as it is an easy fix (3/8" PSB).

I was also told some time ago that the black expansion tanks are prone to cracking, usually from the brackets that hold the tank on.

• 3 months later...

hi guys.

i drive a 2000 td5 defender and:

i have the same problem. been using about 300ml of water in about 500km. checked the oil cooler, pipes, radiator, had the head off and all good there. water pump pumps great. dont know where else to look. any help or advice would be great. many thanks

I've had 2 "slow water loss" issues on my TD5.

#1 was the hose that runs from the bottom of the radiator up to the expansion-bottle on the bulkhead: it had come loose from its clip and worn through against the offside engine-mount. Horrified at the price of an official replacement I cut out the damaged section and spliced in a six-inch length of 15mm stainless-steel tube.

#2 was the water-pump. Not the water-pump bearing as I first thought, but one of the O-rings that seal the water-pump into the aluminium housing on the nearside of the engine. Water was seeping out of the 'weep-hole' which is why I initially suspected the bearing/seal was dying but once I got it all apart there was ample evidence that the leak was past the O-ring and a new O-ring from the local agricultural-equipment place solved the problem for a hundredth of the price of a genuine water-pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes if you have coolant in the water to leave a stain, or if it has been leaking for a very long time.

Just a question to all of you trying to find the coolant leaks, do you guys have Exhaust Gas Recirculation that is water cooled, found the coolers leaking before. If not it may be time for head removal.

Yes you can fit the new head on your old engine, done this very long ago and can not recall any concerns.

Cracked head? Seen that too, and some times the head passes the pressure test, but when torqued down the pressure of being tightened down then it starts to leak. You did check everything else? heater matrix, the small rubber hose behind the exhaust down pipe?