Boiling Clutch Fluid

streaky

I have just fitted a 4.6Efi into the Disco that previously housed a 3.9 unit.

Every thing works fine and today I took it out around Sharjah for a good blat.

After 2 hours of driving in heavy traffic I noticed that the clutch pedal had more travel in it that before.

When I got back to work I left the truck in the carpark for twenty minutes and then tried the clutch pedal again.

To my surprise it was back to normal and I had a pedal right at the top of the stroke.

This all points to the fluid getting too hot and losing it's hydroscosity. Does synthetic fluid suffer from heat in the same way as the regular hydraulic fluid? I'll try to lay my hands on some tomorrow and at the same time I'll make up a heat sheild from Nimus heat sheild.

The 4.6Efi in my Defender doesn't have this problem... but all of the pipes have been wrapped in heat sheild already.

Outside air temperature here is around 110 degrees and the extra heat from the stainless headers must be contributing in some way to this fluid failure..

Thoughts and feedback guys.

Thanks + regards.

Streaky

After 2 hours of driving in heavy traffic I noticed that the clutch pedal had more travel in it that before.

When I got back to work I left the truck in the carpark for twenty minutes and then tried the clutch pedal again.

To my surprise it was back to normal and I had a pedal right at the top of the stroke.

This all points to the fluid getting too hot and losing it's hydroscosity.

The 4.6Efi in my Defender doesn't have this problem... but all of the pipes have been wrapped in heat sheild already.

Outside air temperature here is around 110 degrees and the extra heat from the stainless headers must be contributing in some way to this fluid failure..

it does sound like you are getting vapour in you clutch system;

The s.steel headers (exhaust manifold to us here) - are they tubular? If so, these do run at higher temperature so you may want to consider using exhaust wrap, or at least round the parts near the clutch plumbing.

Another option is to re-route the clutch plumbing away from the heat sources and as you say, insulated them too.

I'm pretty sure that heat is the culprit here. I wondered if using synth will help?

Nimus sheet is a really neat aluminised reflective rigid but formable material that I've used on many occasions to deflect heat away from fragile or heat sensitive objects on desert trucks. Bleedin' expensive but very good gear from Demon Tweeks in UK.

Other points noted...thx.

Regards,

Streaky.