X Brake pads

streaky

I have an X Eng Disc brake on my 300 Disco and until recently is has been working just fine. That is untill the car went in to my mates new workshop for a service.

When I got the car back he said they'd made a slight adjustment to the hand brake and i though nothing else of it.

Two days later I was doing a desert recovery which mean't driving alot harder than normal through the dunes to reach the stricken vehicle. After a while I could smell what I thought was a burning clutch kind of smell so I stopped and looked underneath...the X Brake was smoking like hell and the the brake pad had pretty much worn down to nothing.

What pads will fit the X Brake? Living out here in teh Middle East we don't have access to many of the more common car parts found on the UK's roads.

Will there be pads from a more common vehicle available? If so what have pads can I use?

Failing this I will order some from Simon but would like to source something locally if I can.

Thx & regards.

S.

I've made motorcycle brake pads from car brake pads, so perhaps you could do similar? You'll need a pad that's bigger then what you want to make, but apart from that - it's just a case of using the old brake pad as a stencil and then cutting it with a plasma blade or similar. Smelly job though smile.gif

A common fault with people adjusting the X-brake - they go by the clicks on the handbrake lever, which then causes the brake to bind all the time.

Les.

Thx guys. I ordered a couple of sets from X-Eng yesterday. I'll also be sure to instruct my workshop guy not to play around with the settings if he doesn't understand what the disc brake is all about.

Chris. Simon said the same thing and maybe next time i will give JCB a try. Thx for the info all the same.

S.

I've made motorcycle brake pads from car brake pads, so perhaps you could do similar? You'll need a pad that's bigger then what you want to make, but apart from that - it's just a case of using the old brake pad as a stencil and then cutting it with a plasma blade or similar. Smelly job though smile.gif

A common fault with people adjusting the X-brake - they go by the clicks on the handbrake lever, which then causes the brake to bind all the time.

Les.

Glad it was you Les that recently adjusted mine! :D

John

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, 92a said:

Old post but recently found this,Ā 

Ā 

Interesting. Mine was third hand when I bought it. I think its been on my 110 about 11 years, I stuck the pads on with silicone when I first installed it, might have adjusted it twice in that time and have never changed the pads so goodness knows how old they are! They dont wear as you only put the handbrake on when stopped... odd that he has had these problems but I suspect something isnt right there...

Had my X brake for over 10 years, never had a problem with the pads & never had to replace them, one of the best additions I've done to my 110.Ā 

reckon the guy in that video has over adjusted it & the pads don't clear from the disc when handbrake is off.

• Like 1

If you want to stop rattling pads why not drill a hole through the centreĀ of the pad face, clear a little friction material away from the hole and use a machine screw to secure the pad to a strip of metal bridging the hole on the other side of the mounting hole ?

Mo

I've always thought the disc hand brake was an expensive solution looking for a problem.

I appear to be in a minority because I've never had a problem with a properly set up and maintained standard hand brake!

The one on my 110 works perfectly, it really does.

I MOT quite a few farm owned Land Rovers and I don't see major issues with them either, so I'm struggling to see what people are doing to cause them not toĀ work.

• Like 1

He evidently set it up wrong and blames others for his failures- to much tension on the cable at all time and didnā€™t clean oils or grease off the metal parts before using the bonding agent.Ā  Heā€™s a smug and arrogant whinger, isnā€™t he.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pat_pending said:

I've always thought the disc hand brake was an expensive solution looking for a problem.

I appear to be in a minority because I've never had a problem with a properly set up and maintained standard hand brake!

I MOT quite a few farm owned Land Rovers and I don't see major issues with them either, so I'm struggling to see what people are doing to cause them not toĀ work.

For me it was mainly caused by higher ratio diffs overcoming the available grip of the drum brake on very steep gradients.

9 hours ago, pat_pending said:

I think it depends a lot on how you use the vehicle. Whilst a farmer is splashing about in stuff all day potentially theyā€™re not likely to be up to the axles/chassis in mud. Even in the relatively short number of miles I did in the 90 before it came off the road I was fed up of the handbrake either binding or just not working as soon as it was wet or muddy. The Xbrake locks it solid even straight after wading or deep mud, doesnā€™t need constant attentionĀ and it weighs a lot less than the drum setup.Ā 

13 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Even in the relatively short number of miles I did in the 90 before it came off the road I was fed up of the handbrake either binding or just not working as soon as it was wet or muddy.

Conversely I've never had an issue even when up to the windows in water and mud. All the dumper trucks I've ever driven (which is basically what the X brake is) have been utter carp - even when brand spanking new and properly adjusted (and that's in the dry).

What i've always found with a series landy is when applying the hand brake it tends to lift the gearbox up before the hand brake holds, i am currently running an X brake on my 2a and i don't get that problem anymore as it does away with the arm that swivels on the pin on the chassis which i think was levering the gearbox up in the first place, but i love my X brakeĀ šŸ™‚

I upgraded to an X-brake to have more ground clearance after I split my transfer case getting hung up on a rock.

It works well, my only complaint is that it seems to be difficult to adjust it so it's both not rubbing while driving, yet still locks solid. Sometimes I wonder if I've just mounted something wrong if nobody else has this problem?

54 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Sometimes I wonder if I've just mounted something wrong if nobody else has this problem?

I have no experience with the X Brake but having recently overhauled a dumper truck handbrake it's just a sod. They're notorious for being utterly useless in all possible ways.

I had the same issue and since it was Dad's dumper and he wanted it back I decided sod it he could sort it so unbolted it and drove it back to the farm like that. He could sort it since it blew three hoses whilst with me and one of those required dropping the drop box to access a boltĀ :blink: