X Brake pads

streaky

19 hours ago, mmgemini said:

Three clicks was an MOD demand, I worked for a FORD main dealer in the 1970's and had to set H/B at between 4 and 7 clicks, until the twin wheel Transit had to be tested a the MOT testing station unlike the MOT garage. SO the testing staion was failing them, FORD then sent a Technical Sevice Bullitan to all fitters. IF your Transit fails MOT for to many clicks. return to workshop and remove H/Blever, Proceed to grindston and remove the first pauls fom the assy then refit. This now gave three clicks at the lever

That is one TSB that I wish I had kept

Slightly unsubtle bit of lateral thinking! How the assessment process can distort the manufacturing reality.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, Jocklandjohn said:

I fitted one to my 110, went according to the book. It would heat up and jam on, and several times I'd to stop at the roadside and disconnect it in order to get home. Finally stripped it completely and refitted it. Same again. Had one more go but no use. I contacted X-Eng for advice and followed it, got a mate to assist and check it over. Same problem happened again.

We ended up coming the conclusion that the problem was too much end-float on the output shaft (newly refurbed boxes from Ashcrofts) and although VERY minor & maybe even within tolerances was sufficient to create some friction in the handbrake which increased as it got hotter.

Eventually I had to remove it, revert to drum (which works fine) and the disc was sold on here with a full explanation of my reasons for selling and offer of money back if it was a problem for the buyer (although X-Eng offered to take it back themselves). Cant recall who bought it, but its apparently been fine and dandy so I was just very unlucky.

The brake itself was hunky dory, worked like a charm, but it seems that some vehicles just wont accept it without it creating some issues.

See above.

I tried several times to stop the X-Brake binding and then tried two garages who failed too.  After a while I decided to go back to standard. 

The only issue I ever had with the original   drum brake was the cable snapping! 

My guess in both the above is the brake was adjusted too tight.  Most garages set up the handbrake to come on after 2 or 3 clicks (by the book).  However, at that, the pads are dragging on the disc, they heat up, expand and it binds.  If you adjust it so it's tight after 5 clicks, it will hold properly - and not bind.  It does / did say that in the instructions though.

You can get it down to 3, maybe 4 clicks if you attach the cable to the inner hole on the caliper lever - but then you need to put a lot of force into the lever to make it grip. 

Best option is just 5 clicks.  Set the cable so, with the handbrake released, there is a tiny bit of slack in the cable.

Si

• Like 2

23 hours ago, simonr said:

My guess in both the above is the brake was adjusted too tight.  Most garages set up the handbrake to come on after 2 or 3 clicks (by the book).  However, at that, the pads are dragging on the disc, they heat up, expand and it binds.  If you adjust it so it's tight after 5 clicks, it will hold properly - and not bind.  It does / did say that in the instructions though.

You can get it down to 3, maybe 4 clicks if you attach the cable to the inner hole on the caliper lever - but then you need to put a lot of force into the lever to make it grip. 

Best option is just 5 clicks.  Set the cable so, with the handbrake released, there is a tiny bit of slack in the cable.

Si

Exactly Simon but the DoT do not accept that. Well they didn't while I was working

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Hmm, seems the forum is eating replies at the moment.... 

I had replied to say there was nothing in the MOT inspection manual that I could see. 

Mine's doing that too. On your phone? 

I usually find if you refresh it has saved a draft of it. Still a pain in the arse if you rattle off a long reply too quickly for it to have saved it. 

3 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Mine's doing that too. On your phone? 

I usually find if you refresh it has saved a draft of it. Still a pain in the arse if you rattle off a long reply too quickly for it to have saved it. 

Yes, lots of glitches as of yesterday evening, std black and white error messages, lack of CSS etc. Seem better this morning.

Just now, Bowie69 said:

Yes, lots of glitches as of yesterday evening, std black and white error messages, lack of CSS etc. Seem better this morning.

I've only had issues with the text dissappearing when you submit a reply. It has been doing it for a couple of years on and off, but is much more regular now.