crown or ashcroft

yellow100

Hello,

Does anybody has an idea if the Crown diff strengthened ring and pinion are any better than ashcroft's. I have pegged ashcroft 4.11 diffs but they still fail after a using them for more then a few events.

I'm curious....

Jan

Being neutral here, and not wishing to stir a hornet nest up, and NOT being rude

Ashcroft and Crown are both Bl**y good at what they do, my question is (ducking)

just (honestly) how good was whoever set them upn ie pinion height / build / prelaod / backlash etc

as this makes a vast difference to live expectancy (or not :lol:) ??

Just asking, cos its key ?

I've pegged diffs, and near 300 BHP and drive at times like a pratt / nutter and they don't blow,

so what are you doing / bhp / etc are you doing to the poor thinkgs :lol:

??

Nige

Being neutral here, and not wishing to stir a hornet nest up, and NOT being rude

Ashcroft and Crown are both Bl**y good at what they do, my question is (ducking)

just (honestly) how good was whoever set them upn ie pinion height / build / prelaod / backlash etc

as this makes a vast difference to live expectancy (or not :lol:) ??

Just asking, cos its key ?

I've pegged diffs, and near 300 BHP and drive at times like a pratt / nutter and they don't blow,

so what are you doing / bhp / etc are you doing to the poor thinkgs :lol:

??

Nige

Even the diffs pegged and installed by Ashcroft himself can break after two 12 days driving, that is two european competitions. And I do realise, even during competition, that diffs can break up, so drive accordingly. However, in a competition the idea is to go as fast as you can. I just hoped there was someone out there who had first hand experience to tell if crown ring and pinions would be any stronger. I think it's not so much the bhp but the torque in situations with on and off grip, going with some speed up a steep hill. If the roadbook sends you there, you just try to go up, and hope that nothing is breaking down.

Jan

Sounds like you have a great setup already so if that isn't coping?

Stupid Q but these are fitted with lockers? Only without them the on/off drive thing can be much worse, at least lockers keep all the wheels spinning an the same rate.

Some might suggest swapping out the rover drive train for something stronger. I'd speak with Ashcroft, get those diffs rebuilt/pegged/.. and then look at adding a set of their cush drives. These will help take out those peak shock loads from the on/off grip situations.

Even the diffs pegged and installed by Ashcroft himself can break after two 12 days driving, that is two european competitions. And I do realise, even during competition, that diffs can break up, so drive accordingly. However, in a competition the idea is to go as fast as you can. I just hoped there was someone out there who had first hand experience to tell if crown ring and pinions would be any stronger. I think it's not so much the bhp but the torque in situations with on and off grip, going with some speed up a steep hill. If the roadbook sends you there, you just try to go up, and hope that nothing is breaking down.

Jan

Hi

Just a question out off couriosity, is mainly front or rear you break?? or just both off them.

Ole