Masquerading?

pongo

ebay item 220563693683

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-88-4-CYL-GREEN-HARD-AND-SOFT-TOP_W0QQitemZ220563693683QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item335a9ee073

Is it me? Or does this just scream series three from every angle and every element, except the number plate? :blink:

i.e. its not really tax exempt.

Spotted while surfing the "classic cars" section on e blag. Streuth there's some carp on there. But a few gems, an immacualte Aston Martin Virago caught my eye. If only I had a garage to put it in...

It's hardly the most audacious crime ever committed in the name of tax exemption, there's all sorts of chopped about stuff with TDi's and coils claiming to be tax exempt.

It could easily be genuine, swapping to the S3 front end etc. was a popular thing back in the day. It's clearly had a few mods (different engine etc.) so no reason to believe someone hasn't stuck an S3 bulkhead in at some point in the last 30-40 years, I'd be very surprised if there are many LR's out there of that era still on all the parts they left the factory with.

It's got the two piece drain channels on the bulkhead, suggesting that the bulkhead may be an early Series 3 example.

If it is a Series 3, it's not going to be very different to a 2A that the reg plate claims it is. Story has it that the very last 2As (J plate) even had the Series 3 gearbox and door hinges. :ph34r:

Don't think any had Series 3 bulkheads, particularly on G suffix. I think the only really early example is the likes of Steve Graham's pre-production S3.

Ebay makes me wonder how people get away with V8 coil sprung, range rover chassis 1965(ish) Series motors. And sell them in public!

In terms of using tax exempt status, at least this is a series, with cart springs etc... :)

(even if it's techniocally wrong)

I'm fairly sure that the Camouflage seat covers weren't introduced until 1975 at the earliest, so there's no way that it could really be tax exempt... :ph34r:

My Godfather had a Series 2, that he ruined the body of, none too long after I was born. His sons still have this truck, and when it was repaired, the garage used series 3 bodywork, bulkhead and all, so I wouldn't write it off as a fraud immediately.

Equally, my dad wedged a V8 into his 2a 109 a few years before the stage 1 came out. This isn't any different to the fact that I've put a 4.2 and an auto box in my 110. It's only when the work has been done to get around the tax exemption status that it's a bit iffy.

I replaced the bulkhead on my 1961 SII with a Good Series III item about 15 years ago, does that make it a ringer and historic tax dodger?

I have to say there are some real naughty tax exempt motors going around which will end up spoiling it for everyone. :angry:

I personally think all of this would be solved by bringing back the rolling 25 years old = free tax. Better for everything apart from the robbing bar stewards at westminster.

I somewhat doubt it, it's the tax exemption that causes all these dodgy ringers in the first place, otherwise people would have no reason to desperately ring a dodgy hybrid made from an '80s Range Rover to look like a pre-72 Series just to save £180 per year.