fuel injectors

timmymac

Hi,

Assuming your talking about a V8. I've got some bosch yellow ones in mine. Think they may be from from a gems or bosch RR, not familier with later LRs so not sure. They even worked fine with the original hotwire system. I think as long as the flow rate not stupid (which it wont be if they came out of a 4.2) just fit em and tune it!

Mike

MS will work with any injectors, a set from any hotwire setup will be fine (flapper ones are low-impedance and need a resistor pack as mounted on the front spring turret by the airflow meter).

I run standard 3.9 ones on my 4.6, as does Nige on his JE 4.5, so unless you have something really fruity you don't need to buy anything special at all.

I paid £10 for a 3.9 inlet manifold with 8 injectors at Billing.

The reason i asked was the engine in question already has the injectors in and most places i looked averaged £10 per injector.

I have already spoken to nige about the engine when i bought it and he thinks its a JE 4.2, i just wasnt sure if they would still be ok as it tends to over fuel as it is on a jag flapper system.

cheers tim

From memory of our chats you have an early 1980s) John Eales 4.2 Rover V8

This is basically a Falpper system, bored out 3.5 and reworked block, different pistons etc, and maybe other things but can't tell without full strip down

You have Bosch XJ 4.2 Jag Injectors as the early flapper Ones weren't big enough, and a Jag 4.2 XJ AFM (more air) and then a

adjustable ECU or a over chip to give more fuelling. Total PITFA for any sort of road use, massive overfuelling until you get to race RPMs, and hence my probs - even worse with 4.5 :lol:

You can run those injectors with MS, they have diffwerent resistances - and need differing settings within MS to run them

However - as we are moving intio the dark world of elecrics where I still think its magic :P Back to Fridge who can explain now he know the above :)

Nige

You'll probably find the flapper injectors *would* work, but there is no easy way to calibrate the Jag ECU to use them. All the injectors fitted to Rover V8's have had very similar flow rates so it's probably just a case that they nicked the whole EFI setup off a jag and bolted it in.

The fact that it runs like a pig tells you that however expensive the setup may have been back in the day, it is still a massive compromise / bodge up. It may be that the jag injectors are actually too big, this can be a problem that the ECU can't open them for a short enough amount of time to get a nice idle. On really fruity engines staged injection is used for that reason, with a set of small injectors & separate set of big injectors.

Anyway, a few injector numbers show that the Jag injectors could be anywhere from less than a 3.5 flapper flow rate to nearly double the flow rate, and that Rover fitted different flow rates to the same engine (and lower flow rates to bigger engines):

0-280-150-035 30.5 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar v12-5.3l

0-280-150-023 33.5 lb/hr, HighZ, Jaguar V12

0-280-150-045 38.1 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar v12-5.3l

0-280-150-105 18.1 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar XJS, Range Rover v8-3.5l

0-280-150-129 18.2 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar I6 3.2l, I6 3.6l

0-280-150-150 18.1 lb/hr, Rover v8-3.5l

0-280-150-157 20.4 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar 3.6l, 6-4.2l

0-280-150-163 17.2 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar v12-5.3l -

0-280-150-164 17.2 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar v12-5.3l -

0-280-150-165 22.2 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar 3.6l, 6-4.0l

0-280-150-157 22.83 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar 3.6l, 6-4.2l

0-280-150-166 20.3 lb/hr, LowZ, Jaguar 6-4.2l

0-280-150-209 16.0 lb/hr, LowZ, Range Rover 8-3.5l

0-280-150-227 18.1 lb/hr, HighZ, Range Rover 8-3.5l

0-280-150-556 18.25 lb/hr, HighZ, Range Rover v8-3.9l, Land Rover Discovery v8-4.01l

0-280-150-561 22.0 lb/hr, HighZ, Range Rover

0-280-155-787 16.75 lb/hr, HighZ, Range Rover - Land Rover Discovery 4.0l, v8-4.6l

0-280-150-153 - Bosch part number

22.5 lbs/hr - Flow rate, lbs per hour at the rated fuel pressure, usually either 37.5 or 45 psi.

low - Low impedance (LoZ). These injectors require a current limiting resistor (a-la flapper) or PWM current control (which can be slightly troublesome, although MS can do it). High impedance (HiZ) do not have this issue and the MS can happily drive 8 or 12 High-Z injectors without issue. This is the main reason the later hotwire setup is preferable for MS installs, you remove the extra wiring & potential failure point of the resistor pack.

well it looks like i had better buy some hotwire type injectors then, its getting worse.

Why? :huh: MS will work with *any* injectors, if you have a flapper setup then you have the resistor pack already so you may as well just run with it.

oh i thought from the other post you meant it was best not to for reliability reasons

The resistor packs (& their connector) can give problems but it's fairly rare, and as long as you remember it's there you shouldn't get caught out. Fill the connector with vaseline and it should be fine.

The resistor packs (& their connector) can give problems but it's fairly rare, and as long as you remember it's there you shouldn't get caught out. Fill the connector with vaseline and it should be fine.

ok thanks very much ill keep my eye out for the other bits and be in touch when i need the bits from you.

cheers tim

oh one other thing was whats the best type of lamdba sensor