Rover V8 Variants and Models

Hi all,

I have shoved below a list of the various Rover V8 engine types and models they fitted into

more interested in the 'Rover V8 variants', than the 'same engine' in a different model etc, but

can you spot anything below that is missing ? - in which case what ?, and or wrong ?, and lastly I am

unsure of the 4.0 V8 spec so can some kind soul fill that in for me.

Then the list should be every Rover V8 'engine variant' fitted to Land Rover Range ?

Ta Muchly

:)

Nige

3.5 Carb - 90 & Classic and Disco - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.5 Flapper - as in RR Classics - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.5 Hotwire - rare and RR mainly - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.9 Hotwire - RR Classics - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.9 Hotwire - SERPENTINE has Dizzy doesn't drive Oil Pump

4.0 ??

4.2 Hotwire - RR Classics - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

4.6 GEMS - P38 RR SERPENTINE - GEMS no dizzy at all

4.6 GEMS as above but crank pulley etc different - what LR was this in ??

????

Nige

3.5 Hotwire was mainly fitted to Discoveries, I don't think the RRC ever had 3.5 hotwire as they moved straight from 3.5 Flapper to 3.9 hotwire. The Disco stuck with the 3.5 when the RRC was running 3.9, hence the 3.5 Hotwire variant for Discos until they finally saw sense and upgraded the Disco V8 to 3.9 which, I think, coincided with the "300" facelift. The "poor relation" treatment of the Disco was also why the earlier 3.5 Discos were still running Carbs long after the civilised world had moved onto EFi.

4.0 GEMS was fitted to P38s originally. This was later replaced with the 4.0 Thor in the P38 which was also fitted to the Disco II to replace the 3.9 Hotwire fitted to the later Disco 1. The 4.0 is actually the same displacement as the 3.9 but was called 4.0 for marketing purposes and to distinguish it from the RRC/Disco 3.9.

Hi all,

I have shoved below a list of the various Rover V8 engine types and models they fitted into

more interested in the 'Rover V8 variants', than the 'same engine' in a different model etc, but

can you spot anything below that is missing ? - in which case what ?, and or wrong ?, and lastly I am

unsure of the 4.0 V8 spec so can some kind soul fill that in for me.

Then the list should be every Rover V8 'engine variant' fitted to Land Rover Range ?

Ta Muchly

Nige

3.5 Carb - 90 & Classic and Disco - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.5 Flapper - as in RR Classics - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.5 Hotwire - rare and RR mainly - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.9 Hotwire - RR Classics - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

3.9 Hotwire - SERPENTINE has Dizzy doesn't drive Oil Pump

4.0 ??

4.2 Hotwire - RR Classics - Non Serp has dizzy drives oil pump

4.6 GEMS - P38 RR SERPENTINE - GEMS no dizzy at all

4.6 GEMS as above but crank pulley etc different - what LR was this in ??

????

Nige

There were two 3.5 V8 with Carbies. One pre-1976 and one post. The pre-76 had smaller valves, smaller oil pump, and a different drive between the distributor and the oil pump. The 4.0 was am option on the P38. But you have left out all the modern V8's fitted to Rangies.

The 4.0 designation was used to identify that the engines were running the later, larger crank bearings and the better located main caps, same as the 4.6 blocks.

The 4.0 in the P38 would have used GEMS and then Thor just like the 4.6?

There were two 3.5 V8 with Carbies. One pre-1976 and one post. The pre-76 had smaller valves, smaller oil pump, and a different drive between the distributor and the oil pump.

As fitted to the 101! :D The heads also use short reach spark plugs.

But you have left out all the modern V8's fitted to Rangies.

I'm not sure (please correct me if i am wrong HFH), but think the thread was probably intended as a summarisation of all the "Rover v8's" derived from the Buick 215...

*edited to change my post into a more readable format :ph34r:

Do you want to know about the long & short nosed water pump configurations from the Rover P5, P6, SD1, SD1 se, SD! Vitesse, SD1 EFI, & MGC ?

Do you want to know about some of the stranger configurations that went into various TVR’s (350i, 450, Chimaera 4, Chimaera 5, & Griffith 500) , Morgan +8 , & Triumph TR8

Have all the info ……… its just time to knock it all together………..

I'm not sure (please correct me if i am wrong HFH), but think the thread was probably intended as a summarisation of all the "Rover v8's" derived from the Buick 215...

Quite so, interested in all things Rover V8 in LR models only, not P5 P6 SDi etc etc

Can anyone then confirm the following

1. 4.0 V8 and 3.9 V8 (Serpentines) are basically the same ?
    Same crank pulley timing cover and front arrangment etc
    No Dizzy at all, Both GEMS units ?
  2. 4.2 V8, NEVER built as a Serpentine?
    Only Hotwire and with Dizzy ?

Ta Muchly

Nige

1. 4.0 V8 and 3.9 V8 (Serpentines) are basically the same ?
    Same crank pulley timing cover and front arrangment etc
    No Dizzy at all, Both GEMS units ?
  2. 4.2 V8, NEVER built as a Serpentine?
    Only Hotwire and with Dizzy ?

Ta Muchly

Nige

The only thing a 3.9 and a 4.0 share is the bore and stroke size.

The later 10 bolt (suffix B) 3.9 shared the same block casting as the 4.0 but no cross bolt holes were drilled. However, all the internals were the same as the suffix A 3.9's. All 3.9's were Lucas hotwire 14CUX systems. None were GEMS.

The only thing a 3.9 and a 4.0 share is the bore and stroke size.

The later 10 bolt (suffix B) 3.9 shared the same block casting as the 4.0 but no cross bolt holes were drilled. However, all the internals were the same as the suffix A 3.9's. All 3.9's were Lucas hotwire 14CUX systems. None were GEMS.

I should clarify between interchangeable parts between 3.9 and 4.0. The lifters and tappet assemblies are interchangeable on basically all rover V8s. The cam on the 3.9 A motor has to be machined down on the timing cover end to accept a retaining plate if you want to use it in a 4.0. However, the suffix B 3.9 cams and 4.0 cams are interchangeable. The oil pick up pipe is also interchangeable, however, the sump is not. The cranks, conrods, and pistons are not interchangeable between any 3.9's and 4.0. The heads on the suffix B 3.9 (not suffix A motors) are interchangeable with the 4.0.

Nige, IIRC the 3.9 serp (in an RRC) had what was called the 'intermediate' front cover which ran the later oil pump arrangement (crank drive) but with a dizzy on top -these are well sort after units though so you may not see many of them...

Not sure on the pulley though  :unsure:

Surely all the Disco V8's from 1994 to 1998 used the same "intermediate" cover with serpentine belt, crank driven oil pump, and a dizzy?

Not all Discos in those years had the intermediate (suffix B) 3.9's. The NAS Discos went to the 4.0 and GEMS in 96.

Hi, I can deff confirm that there was a factory 4.2 hotwire, serp intermediate cover, crank oil pump with dizzy, 10 bolt head and block, cross bolt bosses but not drilled in a lse 1994 'cos I've got one in my 77 bobtail.

Hi, I can deff confirm that there was a factory 4.2 hotwire, serp intermediate cover, crank oil pump with dizzy, 10 bolt head and block, cross bolt bosses but not drilled in a lse 1994 'cos I've got one in my 77 bobtail.

Oh Gawd :lol:

Any chance you could do me a big favour - I need 2 x pics, one of the crank pulley assemble from maybe below, and the other

of the engine layout from above maybe from sort of standing on the bumper bonnet up sort of stylee

Pretty Pleeeeeease :D

The ability of LR to make so many similar engines have so many varinats is frankly amazing, whilst some are progress etc

I just have the feeling that others are madness :lol:

Ta Muchly

Nige

Oh Gawd :lol:

Any chance you could do me a big favour - I need 2 x pics, one of the crank pulley assemble from maybe below, and the other

of the engine layout from above maybe from sort of standing on the bumper bonnet up sort of stylee

Pretty Pleeeeeease :D

The ability of LR to make so many similar engines have so many varinats is frankly amazing, whilst some are progress etc

I just have the feeling that others are madness :lol:

Ta Muchly

Nige

It will look exactly the same as the 3.9 in the same configuration.

I'm about to yoink mine out. It's on carbs, and non-serp and in a 110, but easy access for photos if you want any specifics of the 4.2 block or bits aside from the aforementioned bodging. It was a replacement unit from Land Rover, and had done 30,000 miles to the LSE's 140, before I got hold of it.

I'm about to yoink mine out. It's on carbs, and non-serp and in a 110, but easy access for photos if you want any specifics of the 4.2 block or bits aside from the aforementioned bodging. It was a replacement unit from Land Rover, and had done 30,000 miles to the LSE's 140, before I got hold of it.

Thanks, but needs to be a std engine, so hopefully me request for pics will come throuigh

It may be the same as the 3.9 but I really wnat to see for myself and be 100% sure

I've been caught out on other V8 varinats where I thought they were identical between models, and they aren't :(

Nige

• 3 years later...

Nige, the 4.2 serp setup is exactly the same as 3.9 serp setups. The 4.0 is the same as the 4.6, gems Hotwire type plenum and Thor is the banana type manifold. Also there was a 4.4 v8 for the Australian market which had vee belts, like the 3.5.