Swivel Inner Oil Seals

When discussing the rear stub axles, it was suggested that i leave the stub axle inner oil seal out, and allow the oil to migrate along the axle tube and into the wheel bearings over time, improving bearing lubrication and hence life.

Looking at the front axle now, i can see there is a seal on the inside of the swivel ball, and another seal on the stub axle like the rear. I want to run the swivels with oil rather than one shot, so i'm wondering if theres a similar story with the seals here? IE can i leave one or both of them out?

My only worry would be if the oil level inside the swivel ends up above the hole in the swivel/stub, meaning all the oil would want to run off down the axle tube?

Cheers

Leave both of those seals as they are, one keeps the swivel oil in the swivel and the other the grease in the wheel bearings at the rear of the hub. If you want to run your wheel bearings in oil, it is the seal inside the stub axle which you need to remove. This will allow axle oil to run along the halfshaft into the wheel bearings. You will need to remove the stub axle to get the seal out, I believe some axles have the seal in the end of the axle tube rather than the stub.

Sorry just to clarify, i'm rebuilding the axles, so the question was wether to fit the seals or not.

On the rear the concensus was that leaving the inner seal out (the one inside the stub axle, not the inner bearing seal) was beneficial as the oil migrated into the bearings aiding lubrication.

On the front however, the Swivel is in the way. If i take the internal stub axle seal out, but keep the swivel seal, the oil can then migrate from the swivel housing into the bearings... If i remove both, will i lose all my swivel oil down the axle tube?

I'm leaning towards fitting the swivel seal, and leave the stub axle seal out same as the rear, cept that will allow swivel oil into the bearings rather than axle oil. Just need to make sure i have a good seal on the drive flange caps so it doesnt end up all over my wheels!