Switches Vs Relays

MogLite

Modern vehicles use loads of relays.

I understand this is because all their fancy small dashboard switches can't handle the current.

Is there any other reason why I can't just use a 30A switch on a 30A circuit without a relay, as I was planning to use toggles I've got the option of man-sized switches, and I'd rather keep the wiring as simple as possible, and therefore the number of relays to a minimum.

Only detail to remember is that running a 30A switch at 30A's means you are running it at it's maximum all the time, this will reduce the life of the item, if you can find a data sheet for the item it should break-down what the load-versus-life expectancy is

Disadvantage of 30 Amp switches is that you are running 30 A wire everywhere which means voltage drop and cost, relays allow you to keep the high current runs short if you plan their location.

I'm not in favour of centralised relay boxes, my SIII project has 11 relays scatttered all over the place.

If you are aiming for road-legal minimum then use your free switches.

Another advantage of relays is that you can build logic into your circuits, such as having headlights go out when the ignition is turned off and rear fogs on with headlights, driving lights on with main beam &c&c.

As if you hadn't guessed - I stock relays too!

a relay is only a switch anyway.......

only?!?!?!?! it is more than a switch :D

the short answer is yes you can.

the longer answer is whether it is wise to do for 30 A? Without looking into it, I reckon a 30 A switch costs more that the same relay namely because you want a big contact area and that is ahieved easier in the relay. The relay contacts will me made of funky metal and be sealed in vacuum (depending on model ofcourse!) so less spark erosion hence longer life than your switch.

Think about the cables too; you need fat bu88ers to cary 30 A , especially if they are long. With a relay you would position it close to the item(s) you are powering and have a thin cable between the relay coil and the switch; the switch method requires using fat cables all the way; thinner cables would loose power resulting in heat.

ok, i'll answer it a different way.

Andy,

i've had switches carrying heavy loads in my truck for about 3 years and they're still going strong. i've also had relays in there which haven't lasted as long, maybe thats due to how deep i drive (or should that be dive? :lol: ) my truck.

One thing I did notice on my 300 Series body is that most of the relays tend to switch the earth. This makes sense as you can wire everything using very small cable and run the feeds (via a fuse) direct to the component you are switching. Also, it means you can add in extra "switches" (relays) to activate the component under other conditions and automatically. A classic example is the Air Con circuit. There are a number of cases where you weant to cut power to the compressor( i.e. Coolent temperature too high/low, Coolent pressure too high/low) by simply switchcing the earth circuit you don't have to run live cables everywhere.

Ivan

Andy, why not use circuit breakers? That way you've got a switch and a fuse in one. No need for swich, relay and fuse to switch things. It just makes wiring much easier. They cost more but worth it IMHO.

Circuit breakers aren't designed for routine on-off cycles, they're there for emergencies and frequent use will wear them out.

One thing I did notice on my 300 Series body is that most of the relays tend to switch the earth. This makes sense as you can wire everything using very small cable and run the feeds (via a fuse) direct to the component you are switching.

keeeh? the earth line has to have the same current carrying capability as the feed line, therefore it must be the same size, if not larger if it also carrys the return path of other devices

If you are happy with thick cables and more expensive swithes and a slightly more limited range then I would do away with relays, in my experiance relays dont last very long if you are regularly dunking them in water.

I would recomend putting a fuse box as close as possible to your bettery/ power supply.

Thick cables rubbing on bodywork and arking tend to make a bit of a mess and smell funny. ;)

If you cant put a fuse box close to your power supply consider putting a fuse link on the wire from the battery to the fuse box.

If you are happy with thick cables and more expensive swithes and a slightly more limited range then I would do away with relays, in my experiance relays dont last very long if you are regularly dunking them in water.

you could just put your clump of relays (if they aren't scattered throughout the vehicle) in it's own little sealed box