Design challenge for you.

OK. i have a challenge for you .........

I have an RV4 Oz tent that fits like a dream on the roofrack of the Raider, however i am taking the series to the Alps this year and i have a problem.

The tent is too long for the loadbay and the series is a soft top., now my mate was going to take it( along with his in his 110) but he has now decided to take his 88 series too!!

Can someone come up with a way of carring it on the roof? ie detatchable roof bars or some thing? ideally we could do with an external roll cage but money and time are against us.

Please give it some thought and share your ideas? you never know i could make you some money if others see your design on my truck?

OK. i have a challenge for you .........

I have an RV4 Oz tent that fits like a dream on the roofrack of the Raider, however i am taking the series to the Alps this year and i have a problem.

The tent is too long for the loadbay and the series is a soft top., now my mate was going to take it( along with his in his 110) but he has now decided to take his 88 series too!!

Can someone come up with a way of carring it on the roof? ie detatchable roof bars or some thing? ideally we could do with an external roll cage but money and time are against us.

Please give it some thought and share your ideas? you never know i could make you some money if others see your design on my truck?

How long is the tent? Full length of the 90 roofrack? Or would it fit diagonally on the back of the Landrover between the crossmember "handle" one side and the top of the roof the other? Is the spare wheel on the back? Perhaps some sort of spare wheel mounting system?

Chris

How long is the tent? Full length of the 90 roofrack? Or would it fit diagonally on the back of the Landrover between the crossmember "handle" one side and the top of the roof the other? Is the spare wheel on the back? Perhaps some sort of spare wheel mounting system?

Chris

Tent:

http://www.boab.biz/Pages/Oztent%20RV%20Th...from%20BOAB.htm

back of truck:

P1010009.jpg

Replace hood sticks with ex-mil roll hoops and mount tent to them through the canvas, if it's a nice newish canvas that you don't want to put holes in get a 2nd hand one for the job.

Take a 'normal' tent and rough it a bit.

Take me and I'll put it on the roof rack on my 110 for you, and I'll rough it in a normal tent ;)

you have fallen over it in the little front room often enough Rob! LOL!

yeah, but "hard" sizes are easier to work with ;)

From what I can think, without cutting or replacing stuff at this moment, at the rear with the flap you have a dead region on the rear hope tube where the wrap-around side flap does not properly cover the tub when the rear flap is put down and fastened closed. You could have two tube clamps fitted to this and a fabricated arm come out through this gap in the flap to provide a rear mounting to put the tent down the side.

At the front, as the canvas goes into the door seal panel, you could once again have a pair of tub clamps, an arm coming out close to the seal panel and thereby you have two points to put your tent onto.

Means also you should be able to put your canvas up and down with minimal issues

cant you make some sort of bar that goes over the canvas and then attaches to the tub?... mini roll cage type thing? if i knew how to draw on a pooter i would draw what i had in mind, sort of like ...old fashioned roof bars like what you used to clamp into the gutter on old vaxhalls/vivas etc?

cant you make some sort of bar that goes over the canvas and then attaches to the tub?... mini roll cage type thing? if i knew how to draw on a pooter i would draw what i had in mind, sort of like ...old fashioned roof bars like what you used to clamp into the gutter on old vaxhalls/vivas etc?

Yeah, pair of split clamps each side on the main hoops and then like hoops that have been cut of their lower mounts and mounted on top. You should have an email of a modded piccie showing my previous suggestion :)

Hi Mandy,

The simplest and easiest would be to pack it into the back such that it went over the bulkhead and into the the centre seat area, You could probably even sling it from the underside of the hoodsticks. You may not be able to see using the rear view mirror, but that isn't a problem with two door mirrors.

Alternatively, it could quite easily strap to the top of the soft top without the need for a roof rack, just lay it lengthwise on the top and experiment with rope/straps to make the most secure form of mounting.

Regards,

Diff

Thanks Diff for your advice but as Minivin said we have one sat in the back which is centre mounted behind the 2 front seats and daughter is on it.and stuff on the cubby box.

Will the canvas hoops take the weight?if the tent is put on them?

Mandy.

centrally mounted may cause an issue due to it being 19Kg, but mounted close to one side would help transmit the load down the side tube and down to the tub

A quick measure up of my 90 reveals that the diagonal of the rear of the car is a little over 190cm - from cross-member to roof on the opposite side - so it wouls almost fit there. Putting it straight through the car over the bulkhead means that it would almost be on the dashboard and touching the back at the same time. The longest internal diagonal from the drivers rear corner to a point over the internal bulkhead on the passenger side is only about 175cm so not long enough by far. Looks like it has to go outside really.

Chris

Will the canvas hoops take the weight?if the tent is put on them?

I think so. Will you be bumping about off-road with it on there? That might make the difference, it should be fine on the road.

Chris

Yep! had the Raider with me when i brought the thing, didnt give it a thought as to how practical it would be with another truck and as it cost S***loads of money i am loathed to not use it and take a small tent with me.

Simon are you reading this?? you could make and sell the solution to the tent companies!!!!!

wont it be lop sided weight wise?

No different to having a solar shower on the side I would have thought, kg/litre or what ever it is, must house something like 20 litres the likes of whats on the film TR

Not enough information so I don't understand the problem. :blink:

It's a tent right, so made of canvass or some other foldable material, why not just fold it so it fits in the rear tub -ok, from the pics it may note be possible to use the bag so leave that behind, less weight :) use bungee or straps to hold it together.

It is not stated how long the poles are when apart. If too long, consider cutting and soldering/weloing tubes so they can be put together or get another set of poles.

Not enough information so I don't understand the problem. :blink:

It's a tent right, so made of canvass or some other foldable material, why not just fold it so it fits in the rear tub -ok, from the pics it may note be possible to use the bag so leave that behind, less weight :) use bungee or straps to hold it together.

It is not stated how long the poles are when apart. If too long, consider cutting and soldering/weloing tubes so they can be put together or get another set of poles.

It's got a foldable frame inside of it hence the length :rolleyes:

Thanks O2GF74. all good suggestions, but its more complicated than that! the tent can only be folded one way!

wont bore you with the details though. (follow the link to the tent on earlier post if you really want to)

We will get there in the end.

Just thought that with all the brainiacs on here we could come up with a niffy/tidy way of doing it that was all.

It's got a foldable frame inside of it hence the length :rolleyes:

and the frame is not removable? hence the problem is now clear. dunno then. :unsure: apart from along the side but will the doors open? (you can always attach something on the other to blance but 19 kg is a lot to worry about.)