"Medium Range" toolkit?

A week tomorrow we head off to northern Italy in the Defender 110 - K plate station wagon, 3.9i V8, LT85/LT230 transmission. This is her first long journey post-rebuild - Cambridge to Sexten (northern Italy), which is 1,000 miles each way, each journey split over 2 days, Cambridge - Strasbourg, Strasbourg - Sexten and the reverse. So, I'm packing a fairly comprehensive "road-side" tool-kit (and AA European cover!!), but I'm after suggestions of what I might have forgotten from this list:

Sockets & ratchet (8mm - 27mm + couple of imperials for the engine)

Long & short extension bars for the socket

Breaker bar

8, 10, 13 & 17mm open ended spanners

Adjustable (decent, Bahco) spanner

Stilson

Plug spanner

#2 Posi screwdriver

Small, medium and large flathead screwdrivers

Pliers

Hammer

Multimeter

Crimping tool

Snips

Gas soldering iron, solder

1/4" spades and blades connectors

A few metres of wire

Insulating tape

Spare fuses

Spare relays

Spare bulbs

Selection of M6, M8, M10 bolts and Nyloks

Selection of self-tappers

Hylomar

Hose repair tape

Exhaust repair kit

Hose clamps

Zip ties (plastic and stainless)

Duct tape!

Gloves & handwipes

Couple of things I'm debating:

A jack - I have either a bottle jack, which would do at a pinch for wheel changes (unlikely I know) or should I get a mounting kit for the Hi-Lift?

Belts - I've just changed the PAS, alternator and water pump belts, with genuine parts - maybe I might just throw in the old belts in-case.

Big items - I don't think it's worth taking (or buying) a spare alternator, water pump etc. - it's only Europe not Outer Mongolia and if one of those goes we'll resort to the AA.

I've just replaced the oil and filter on the engine and re-filled the cooling system, I intend to check gearbox and diff oil levels this weekend and go around checking every bolt I can see (along with fitting a Wright Off-Road sound proofing kit), oh, and a new driver's door.

Cheers,

AndyC.

14mm are quite common on land rovers and 15mm are common in general spannerwise, also for propshaft i think it was still 9/16, it is on my J reg discovery but a 14mm spanner can be forced on.

Cheers, I'll add those in (good thinking, as the dizzy clamp is 15mm). I used to borrow a very handy skinny prop-shaft socket from a mate, but he's gone to the West Country, so I'll need to make do with what I have there.

for the room they take up a spare wheel bearing would be a good one to add

i keep one in my motor full time after learning the hard way on a sunday morning

regards mark

Good one - one of the things which is niggling me is that I haven't looked at the wheel bearings in the 3 years I've owned the 110. I wonder if it would be worth a marathon wheel-bearing session next week?

AC.

If you have the time it doesn't do any harm, and if all ok at least all of your bearings will be fully greased. If you take some bearings etc, don't forget to take the hub nut socket. I'd also check the prop UJ's too before you go.

For long jaunts including off-roading, I've always added, one shot grease, spare brake fluid, coolant, EP90, syphon tube, spare flexi brake hoses, plus brake assorted fittings, ezi-bleed, prop UJ's and a spare CV. As it's a road trip this is probably overkill. btw, at one time or another all of it got used, but this was from damage off-roading.

Cheers

Steve

---Hub nut spanner-socket ( I have a Franklin type which stands the earth not the chocolate molded lr type)

---Maybe one axle stand (Bottle jack fine but risking body under truck not wise)

--- Circlip spanner

^^^^ and all above

" Be prepared to fail or fail to be prepared" .dry.gif

Hi

From my experience, brake/clutch fluid is also good to have,

and if you have them repairmanual and spareparts cat.

But apart from that I think your list is complete off course

topped up with the various things also suggested by other members

Have a nice trip..

Ole

Folding axle stand, they fold down small and have a reasonable capacity, however, they must be assembled correctly. I usually have a hi-lift and a bottle jack with me if I'm doing a nice long tow with the diving club boat.

Do comprehensive service and general check of components (UJ's etc) take at least basics (fuses, quick fixes etc) def take out EU AA cover. Map out LR dealers on way (as fix on gps if go past them) or do search before go, leave buffer of few days in case you get stuck. We did Morocco trip and on border Africa/EU my bro's clutch decided it wanted to give up. It took 3 days and 500 Euros, not total rip off as big job, this was a LR main dealer.

Thanks for all the replies. Have taken out AA European cover - under £100, including returning vehicle home and emergency accommodation, so worth it for the peace of mind. Have ordered some replacement wheel bearings and lock washers, will try to check the play in the existing ones before we go (don't have the time to replace them all). Hylomar is packed, as it beer, sense of humour and adventure!

Cheers,

AndyC.

Axle stands? :blink: It's a jaunt across Europe not the Dakar :ph34r:

You need to apply the maxim that everything must have at least two uses or it shouldn't be in the car, and also you only need the absolute bare minimum to fix things which would:

a) Stop you from making it home, but

b) Aren't serious enough to give up & phone the AA.

For example - you wouldn't take a spare set of pistons and big ends, but you may take a wheel bearing.

I wouldn't take a hub nut spanner, they're relatively big, heavy and only have one use. I'd take a pair of mole grips or stilson (both universal/multi-use tools), or just a hammer & big screwdriver which is perfectly acceptable to drive the nut on/off with.

Last time I drove 1500 miles in a weekend all we had was a phone charger and a credit card and some bl**dy awful motorway services coffee :ph34r:

If you are going continental. Dont forget the legal stuff required for each country.

e.g

1.Beam benders/yellow filters (for headlights)

2. Hi vis jackets

3 warning triangle and/or road flares.

essentials.

1.foot pump or compressor-tyre press gauge.

2.water 2 or 5l bottles or jerrycan. For you if you have broken down, or the landy if cooling needs topping off.

carrying a couple of 5l bottles wont be bad, but carrying a jerrycan for a couple of miles will stretch the arms.

3. first aid kit.

4. tarp or groundsheet. throw down to work under landy (helps to find bits you drop) can work as a sun shade if you need it.

5. hat and glasses.

6. roadmaps

7. ehic card (european health insurance card)

8. colour copies of your documents (kept seperate from your real ones.

9. can of tyre weld

10. jump leads

11. medium duty tow rope.

12. a phone that works in europe. + charger

13. tell your credit card company where/when you are going, or they may decline your purchases.

hth

Pete