handicap ? steering problem

hi all, d90 1987 disco 200tdi engine in it,ajusted alan key on top of steering box until i have got loppy steering in a straight line, but it still pulling my arms out when turning right and left, bled box 3/4 times, checked preload 3 tmes some say preload 14/16lb& some 6lb and 6/7kg, tried them all but still the same hard cornering, i did notice yesterday that panard bolt were rattling inside the busbes have i put the wrong bolts in after rebuild, would this cause so much trouble with steering :( cheer's defender dinky

DD, check these nominal lengths as highlighted in orange & centralise the steering box, if these don't make any difference, then I suspect the steering box is the culprit.

I got the track rod nominal length from the Discovery manual on my RAVE CD's, as Discovery & 90/110 have the same wheel track of 58.5inches, this will worked as I've reset my steering track rod last weekend & it worked a treat.

File0652.jpg

File0653.jpg

File0654.jpg

File0651.jpg

have you checked uj's on steering column ???

mine weresiezed when i first got it made the steering hard & wouldn't centre. checked all the usuals but that. ended up doing the bearing in the bottom of the column before i found out whatit was!!

I know how it is when there is a mismatch or a tight steering. I got a similar problem after I changed from the "chocolated-brittle-biscuitlike" drag link I had. I got a Sumo link and had to use several days finding the center..... The drawing is wicked!!!! laugh.gif

one thing I think LR missed out of the 90/110/Defender workshop manual is the distance between pin centres for the track rod, But strangely it's in the Disco 1 manual.just bog standard steering tubes on my 110.

Did you say one thingunsure.gifunsure.gif ??? Many many things to which they supposedly ignore to acknowledge and update. It is a landy thing I guess......

Did you say one thingunsure.gifunsure.gif ??? Many many things to which they supposedly ignore to acknowledge and update. It is a landy thing I guess......

hi all i checked uj's on coloum they are ok, i will check measurements on trackrod so kindly supplied by western but can't do it til next weekend playing golf all week down oakhampton, so thanks again for your replies ;):):D defender dinky

have you checked uj's on steering column ???

mine weresiezed when i first got it made the steering hard & wouldn't centre. checked all the usuals but that. ended up doing the bearing in the bottom of the column before i found out whatit was!!

How did you get bearings? Everyone I have talked with says they are not available from anywhere.