2010 ultimate challenge

bow

Due to demand i have just been informed that single vehicle teams can now enter this challenge, £145 for the privilege, :blink:

please check the website for more details,

all the best,

BOW

Where are the usual lot that attended the santa's?

Alex

Maybe the price is a bit steep, and there are other challenges to enter, some only £40 per day, or less!!! couple this to the traveling between sites, & accomodation, and it soom ads up to a lot. Could be wrong/ could be right??

Maybe the price is a bit steep, and there are other challenges to enter, some only £40 per day, or less!!! couple this to the traveling between sites, & accomodation, and it soom ads up to a lot. Could be wrong/ could be right??

Yeah you could be right, on the other hand i don't think it is excessive, £40 challenge events may be availiable on a turn up for one day on one site and do your own thing basis.

Using various sites, including Yarwell which isn't cheap, that and the food provided at the end of the two days competing and a good relaxed atmosphere i don't feel that the price of £145 is putting people off. :unsure:

Looks like we will be entering only one car now though <_<

Cheers

Alex

Alex mate, the reason some of us are not there is because we are going to the Croatia challenge! Plus you will see the "Ultimate Challenge" is only Santa's with a different name....... Now if it was "the" ultimate challenge then that would be worth entering! but it's not!!! it will be the same site's with the punch's in the same place's!!!!

So why do i want to enter that? been there done that! now go out and "Win it" and move on mate!

Alex mate, the reason some of us are not there is because we are going to the Croatia challenge! Plus you will see the "Ultimate Challenge" is only Santa's with a different name....... Now if it was "the" ultimate challenge then that would be worth entering! but it's not!!! it will be the same site's with the punch's in the same place's!!!!

So why do i want to enter that? been there done that! now go out and "Win it" and move on mate!

:lol: good point... still a good laugh though.

Horses for corses i suppose :D But ur right about it being samey, bin to watch 3 now, by the third i new exactly where to look, mind u i still an't bin to all the sites, Personally cant see the point of all the road traveling, You get enough towing ur car around to and from events, cant see the point of paying somebody ££££ for the privalage :o , must admit the social bit at the end is nice!!

Horses for corses i suppose :D But ur right about it being samey, bin to watch 3 now, by the third i new exactly where to look, mind u i still an't bin to all the sites, Personally cant see the point of all the road traveling, You get enough towing ur car around to and from events, cant see the point of paying somebody ££££ for the privalage :o , must admit the social bit at the end is nice!!

Both event's are only about "the social"...... as th event's are all the same! :rolleyes:

After santa's there are few reasons which has put me off from entering anymore;

the scoring system seems to be not much more than a lottery,

the ammount of vehicle's that just seemed to team up was quite high on what was supposed to be a single car event,

The price of fuel travelling between sites and back and forth to base adds up to quite a tidy sum, on santas's i should think the event cost me £400-£500 and i live fairley local

Don't get me wrong i think this is a very good event but it has turned into a bit of a social thing and for a social gathering the cost works out too high :(

After santa's there are few reasons which has put me off from entering anymore;

the scoring system seems to be not much more than a lottery,

the ammount of vehicle's that just seemed to team up was quite high on what was supposed to be a single car event,

we enjoyed Santas, but dont think we will go back again, not knowing where the sites actually were didn't help - maybe a map or grid would be useful for next time as we are not local to the area.

cant say we saw teaming up as an issue and i think the scoring system works well. first time we have done the event and even we managed to suss it out!

The ULTIMATE 24/25th April will run.

At this time its a select group of just 11 cars (all modified) running.

The price is dropped to £140 a car HOWEVER if we can between us get that up to 20 cars then Vince will drop the price to £120 per car.

We're there for the crack whatever.

Get your mates to call 07973116681 to enter or register online http://theultimate.2fear.com

Let's party!

we enjoyed Santas, but dont think we will go back again, not knowing where the sites actually were didn't help - maybe a map or grid would be useful for next time as we are not local to the area.

cant say we saw teaming up as an issue and i think the scoring system works well. first time we have done the event and even we managed to suss it out!

The scoring system is an excellent scoring system but only on a single site, when using multiple sites then it is impossible for it to work effectivley as no one knows what is happening on the other sites unless you get a wink and a nudge from a marshal, there was a situation i remember a couple of years back when there was one vehicle going arround a site on his own collecting max points and if other people were not tipped off then i doubt the site would of got visited that day hence makes it a lottery.

I have no problem with people helping each other out when they are in such a pickle there is not alot of choice otherwise, hell we have all been there! but on santa's it was blatent teaming up at the drop of a hat which is not fair on the people that had struggled by themselves and played by the single car rules,

all of above by my rekoning makes it more of a social gathering and could be and is only my humble opinion why this one has a low turnout ;)

The problem with the scoring is that it relies on the punches being punched in the correct box on the card. ie. the number 1 punch in the box marked 1. All very well if you have the correct number clearly written on the punch. Trouble is that after a few teams have been through a site, and some times from the start, numbers are (or become) illegible so one relies on information from a marshal who, through no fault of his own, can only guess what the correct number is.

Non of this would make any difference at all except that the score per punch is reduced according to the number of teams that get it.

Picture a scenario in which a site is set out with punches varying from the totally simple to the near impossible. A team clears the site and is the only team to get the near impossible punch 31.

As the day goes on thirty or so teams have visited punch number 13 which is a dead easy drive up causing the number to become obscured by mud. The next team to reach 13 can't read the number so asks the marshal for clarification. The marshal looks at the punch and decides it says 31, so halving the points that should have been scored for punch 31.

The AWDC use a different, electronic based system which has a unique key on each vehicle which records the presence of a unique transponder. The key records the punch number and the time it was reached etc. This sysem allows the organiser to identify teams suspected of causing damage to a section or entering a section by a disallowed route.

OPEN INVITATION

This week-end 24/25th of April, a small but select & gorgeous group of off-roaders will be taking their spectacular highly modified Landrovers to Northamptonshire to take part in an elite two day competition known as the Ultimate Challenge. Knowing the extra-ordinary skills of this small and dedicated band, the organisers, PROTRAX will be setting up some astonishing, original and 'angry' punches and special stages over 3 sites.

This highly competitive group will enjoy 2 full on days of serious competition and after early evening piping hot-showers will enjoy a night of 'apres-event' wit and banter over a good meal, a few beers, a good bottle of wine and maybe a warming single malt or two, before retiring, satisfied to a lovely clean, warm bed in the comfort of the Castle Inn. They will awake ready and refreshed for day two which will start with a hearty full-English breakfast before hitting the mud and the second day of adventures and challenges.

1st PRIZE

simex_keyring.jpg

In the spirit of the event DiamondGeezer.com the award winning online jeweller

will be donating one of their brand new sterling silver Simex or Bogger key rings

worth £95 to the outright winner.

IT'S NOT TO LATE

There are spaces still available at this late stage so phone Vince ON 07973 116681 now, and come along.

Clive, your a star, :D:D

as the man said, still places left, but we have cut down on sites, so not as much travel to and from sites, and the price has been reduced,

i'll be there, :rolleyes:

come and support our event..

its a giggle

all the best,

Bow..

Well done to young Alex and Co-Driver Ellis for their 1st place win.

Cant say much more :blink: Poor Phillon !!!!!!!!!!

Most entertaining swinging lessons from Dan on Saturday. YAK!

Few more Pictures on xtremelandy photo gallery (sorry only a few)

And Best wishes to Clive with the nasty Winch Accident. Hope all is well.

IMG_0438.JPG

image15.jpg

The Ultimate 2010

Well, apart for the few 'elite', you all missed a great event and we missed you.

Ed Cobley really put together some great punches, most were very technical, all were more difficult than usual and many were VERY high and for sad people like me who get nervous standing over a drain provided some extra exercise for one's anal sphincter. Most punches were set up in a special stage type format where you had long tricky drives and winch pulls through gates until you reached the clearly marked punch and then back out the way you came in. No hunt-the-punch on this event. Average punch time 40 mins. Nobody had seen or driven a Tixover or Yarwell like this. It has to be said: one site per day really worked and gave the event a solid pace. Well done Ed!

Congratulations to Alex who won in his Polaris (about the same price as 2 x Twin Giggles- I want one)

polaris.jpg

I am delighted that Alex, our team mate for the Transylvania Trophy (he'll be co. driving his Dad's Landrover there) wins the silver key ring.

We will of course be making a special version of the key ring based on the 12 inch wheels of the Polaris - gonna save a ton of silver ;-)

HOWEVER technically: well in my book anyway, because I believe that the core event is about getting two tons of vehicle into difficult places, Bryn Hemming, yes he is back and as agricultural as ever! won the event in a 1973 Landrover, with a welded-up back diff, a Trutrac on the front, the slowest low-line winch I think I have ever seen and running wire NOT plasma.

Thanks to the Cobleys for putting on a great event and their 'the-show-must-go-on' attitude even though the marshals outnumbered the competitors.

A word of warning!

I gave a little more to this event than usual, in the shape of the top joint of one of my fingers, I'm back to Cambridge Hospital on Wednesday for plastic surgery and some digit reconstruction. Now I have great respect for the equipment we use, am no idiot and was doing everything correctly, But ERROR: I hadn't notice that the front plasma had looped up ever so slightly so when 'OUT' became 'IN' my hand, which wasn't in any contact with the rope, not even holding it, was dragged 12 inches against the bend in the front wing in a nano second and in a crescendo of pain the permanent damage was done. I have to say a big thank you to Dominique Brione my co driver for not fainting; actually he's getting quite used to seeing people lose fingers to the mighty winch. (a ref. to 2009 Transylvania) Thanks to Wayne for his immediate first aid (this guy digs survivors out of the ground in earth quake disasters in his spare time, make sure he is in the truck behind you every time you compete) and thank you to Maria 'Nursey' and Guy for driving me to the hospital. I have to say that Maria's driving did manage to take my mind off the pain and worry of losing a finger to a genuine concern about losing my life. Thanks to Bryn for driving my rig and Landy back home. Thanks of course to my son Luke, who arrived on site to watch his Dad and team car perform just as the accident happened. Sorry to mess up your day Son, I promise I won't mess up this coming Saturday (his wedding day), only sorry that I can no longer be 100% present, if you see what I mean.

Let's dedicate our new Sterling silver key ring in honour of the incident. (trust me I can still use a calculator)

multi-winch.jpg

Enjoy - but be careful!